Yeah it's old and slow, but I like 38 S&W
Here's a couple of mine:
38 DA from the 1890's

A much later MOD 1953- can't find the later pic with the replaced hammer 😒

and a blue one

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
I'm buying a Regulation Police that'll shoot that ammo. The best part of having the ammo first is that you get to take your time and research which guns work best with it, and you can select the style that'll fit you're shooting style as well.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a fun way to shop for a gun—acquire the ammo and then see what you want to shoot it with. A while ago, I bought a bunch of 8mm to encourage myself to go ahead and get a K98k. Crazy, I know!

delcrossv, that’s a beautiful break action revolver!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or you could go the military surplus route and find an Enfield No. 2 Mk 1 revolver (UK 1936-late 1940s issue).

Just make sure before you buy that it hasn't been modified to fire .38 special (.357 bullet diameter).

If it has the .38S&W (.361 bullet diameter) should work OK unless the barrel was replaced (in which case the barrel will say "38 special" - and the .38 S&W will not be safe to fire in it.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Most of you are familiar with .38 S&W Victory Models being reamed to accept .38 Specials. Well one day in 1940 the Brits told Colt to ship every .38 and .45 they had on the shelf, period. Colt obliged sending among them a handful of Single Action Army Models, some Officers' Models and some Police Positive Specials. FYI they also made the Official Police in .38-200, so marked. I have been fortunate to acquire this Officers' Model.

It was reamed to take .380 Rimmed (.38 S&W), the muzzle was counter bored slightly for some reason (shown in Pate's book). It bears all the Enfield and proof tattoos as well as the 38/380 conversion mark. And after all that it spent a very gentle uneventful war.

It shoots both rounds exceeding you well.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Never happened to me, I have quite the 1911 handgun collection, .357 revolvers and a few ak rifle...I have been leaning towards long range shooting these days so it is safe to say i have a handgun of caliber at my disposal and it will be extrememly difficult to have ammo that i don't have a gun for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts