Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Looking at the sideplate seam and the letters of the address block, almost assuredly. It is a nice reblue though.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Looking at the sideplate seam and the letters of the address block, almost assuredly. It is a nice reblue though.
My thought exactly. The logo on the sideplate looks a little buffed out too.

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
One look at the sideplate seam tells all... The current owner may not have re-blued it, but someone did.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the replies.

Several "red flags" stood out to me:

1. Side plate seam buffed down
2. Side plate screws with buggered tool marks
3. Tip of the ejector rod blue
4. No raised metal around the stampings
5. Ejector star a different color than the cylinder
6. Bluing down in the charge holes
7. Bluing down inside the muzzle
8. Vertical buffing marks on the left side plate
9. almost too shiny for a gun made in the late '70s

Individually, these things may not indicate it was re-blued, but collectively, I'm thinking it was re-blued, and probably has not been fired since then.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Nice looking 19 though. Great shooter and EDC piece. The Side plate edges are usually a dead giveaway for re-blue. My 6" 28-2 HP was re-blued at some point and it functions really well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice looking 19 though. Great shooter and EDC piece. The Side plate edges are usually a dead giveaway for re-blue. My 6" 28-2 HP was re-blued at some point and it functions really well.

View attachment 496903
I have two 4" 28-2's and I wish mine looked that good. I've wiped and polished them a lot and they look good but it's still that Model 28 finish. The only consolation is that I sure don't mind causing any carry wear on them.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
I have handled and shot Curt's 6 inch HP. If I recall correctly the gun shop had it listed as refinished and we both thought that it would have been hard to tell if not listed as such. We had it side by side with my 6" HP to compare. He got a pretty decent price on it too

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
That's a good lookin wheel gun. Does that one have a stainless hammer and trigger?
I believe the trigger and hammer are polished stainless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts