Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the original owner of this 6" .357 Magnum S&W Model 27-2. I thought it deserved a little attention from a group that I'm sure would appreciate it.

I bought it on February 24th, 1978 from Ray's Sport Shop in New Jersey the same year my wife and I bought her 4" .357 Magnum Ruger Security Six from Treptow's Gun Shop, also in New Jersey so they are both celebrating a pretty big anniversary. Neither gun shop exists anymore but the guns are alive and well!

It was my first and she still looks and works great. She has a lot of company now but she stands out in the crowd.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

· Registered
577 Posts
I am the original owner of this 6 1/2" .357 Magnum S&W Model 27-2. I thought it deserved a little attention from a group that I'm sure would appreciate it.
I bought it on February 24th, 1978.
Very nice. I'd be interested in what the SN is, if you don't mind. I have a 6" version from 1977, so they might be fairly close to each other. Mine is N4479xx. I'm sure it's an illusion, but your barrel length looks more like 6" than 6-1/2". Do you shoot yours much? I bought mine ANIB a couple of years ago, have shot it a couple of times but it is so pristine I don't want to risk scratching it. I shoot my M28-2 instead.
Don't we look like twins?
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I suppose you're in NC, from your username. What part? I'm a lifelong Tarheel, live about 45 miles NNW of Charlotte. Let's see some of your M27's "company" as you mentioned.

· Registered
41,983 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Happy Birthday to your model 27....celebrate by taking it out for some exercise. A beauty, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: BigRichNC

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice. I'd be interested in what the SN is, if you don't mind. I have a 6" version from 1977, so they might be fairly close to each other. Mine is N4479xx. I'm sure it's an illusion, but your barrel length looks more like 6" than 6-1/2". Do you shoot yours much? I bought mine ANIB a couple of years ago, have shot it a couple of times but it is so pristine I don't want to risk scratching it. I shoot my M28-2 instead.
Don't we look like twins?

I suppose you're in NC, from your username. What part? I'm a lifelong Tarheel, live about 45 miles NNW of Charlotte. Let's see some of your M27's "company" as you mentioned.
Yes, I/we live in North Carolina. We live in eastern Harnett County a few miles from I95. My wife and I move to North Carolina in 2013.

Apparently it is not an illusion. It appears I made a mistake some years ago and never double checked myself. Mine is indeed a 6 inch barrel. I stand corrected, and thank you.

The serial number on mine is N4235XX. I don't shoot it much, maybe a few hundred rounds over the years.

You say you bought yours "ANIB". I still have the manufacturers booklet in the case mine came in. I believe I have the receipt in my safe as well. I paid about $385.00 for it in 1978. Do you have a URL to a serial number list that shows approximate date of manufacturer for our twins?

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel

· Registered
577 Posts
Yes, I/we live in North Carolina. We live in eastern Harnett County a few miles from I95. My wife and I move to North Carolina in 2013.

The serial number on mine is N4235XX. I don't shoot it much, maybe a few hundred rounds over the years.
Do you have a URL to a serial number list that shows approximate date of manufacturer for our twins?
I lived in Raleigh for 12 years back in the 1980's and early 1990's, I'm very familiar with eastern NC as one job I had kept me on the road there much of the time. I grew up along the eastern foothills, though, and came back to them.

There's no definitive way to tell date of manufacture on older S&W's like ours. The SN range will get you within a year or so, but no guarantees because the guns weren't manufactured or sold in serial order. A letter from S&W Historical Foundation will tell the shipping date from the factory and who it was shipped to (dealer or wholesaler, but not the individual end-owner). A letter will also tell the original configuration of your gun, to determine if what you have has been modified over time (different barrel length, trigger/hammer type, finish, etc.) The Standard Catalog of S&W has SN ranges listed in an appendix along with years of manufacture for those ranges. Most people use those dates, along with posted numbers here on the forum from lettered guns, to get an approximate age. "N" serials start in 1969 and go through 1986, but the last several years was transitioning to a new system which started in 1980 with other models. Prior to the "N" range, the prefix was "S" which started in 1946.

The N400,000 SN range is 1977-78. N serial numbers are shared with many models; M25, 27, 28, 29, 57, 58, 520 and 629. So, chances could be that the SN immediately next to yours isn't a M27, but batch production would suggest there would be groups of models with consecutive SN's, although they'd be scattered all over the place when delivered. Your SN is early enough in the N400K range that it is most likely 1977, as is mine. Potentially, mine could be 1978. The SCSW is a great book on S&W firearms, if you like reading about that stuff. Right now, it's in the 4th Edition, published in 2016, but a new edition is in the works. BTW, a letter from SWHF is $100, worth the cost if you feel you have something rare or unusual. I only have one lettered gun, a M29-2 commemorative issue from 1979. I'm considering letters for a couple others in my collection, my M27-2 being one of them.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I lived in Raleigh for 12 years back in the 1980's and early 1990's, I'm very familiar with eastern NC as one job I had kept me on the road there much of the time. I grew up along the eastern foothills, though, and came back to them.

There's no definitive way to tell date of manufacture on older S&W's like ours. The SN range will get you within a year or so, but no guarantees because the guns weren't manufactured or sold in serial order. A letter from S&W Historical Foundation will tell the shipping date from the factory and who it was shipped to (dealer or wholesaler, but not the individual end-owner). A letter will also tell the original configuration of your gun, to determine if what you have has been modified over time (different barrel length, trigger/hammer type, finish, etc.) The Standard Catalog of S&W has SN ranges listed in an appendix along with years of manufacture for those ranges. Most people use those dates, along with posted numbers here on the forum from lettered guns, to get an approximate age. "N" serials start in 1969 and go through 1986, but the last several years was transitioning to a new system which started in 1980 with other models. Prior to the "N" range, the prefix was "S" which started in 1946.

The N400,000 SN range is 1977-78. N serial numbers are shared with many models; M25, 27, 28, 29, 57, 58, 520 and 629. So, chances could be that the SN immediately next to yours isn't a M27, but batch production would suggest there would be groups of models with consecutive SN's, although they'd be scattered all over the place when delivered. Your SN is early enough in the N400K range that it is most likely 1977, as is mine. Potentially, mine could be 1978. The SCSW is a great book on S&W firearms, if you like reading about that stuff. Right now, it's in the 4th Edition, published in 2016, but a new edition is in the works. BTW, a letter from SWHF is $100, worth the cost if you feel you have something rare or unusual. I only have one lettered gun, a M29-2 commemorative issue from 1979. I'm considering letters for a couple others in my collection, my M27-2 being one of them.
Is there a way to private message on this forum? I don't see it as an option.

I thought that the 'N' in the serial number was to designate the frame beefiness, or heartiness (and heaviness) for lack of a better description, as opposed to thinner, lighter J or K frame?

If they have private messaging I won't need to ask stupid questions in front of God and everybody!
🙂

· Registered
577 Posts
Is there a way to private message on this forum? I don't see it as an option.

I thought that the 'N' in the serial number was to designate the frame beefiness, or heartiness (and heaviness) for lack of a better description, as opposed to thinner, lighter J or K frame?

If they have private messaging I won't need to ask stupid questions in front of God and everybody!
🙂
You are correct, the "N" serial numbers only apply to N frame guns, and the other frame sizes have their own letters. The "S" previously used indicated the guns had the new "Safety" feature, a hammer block that was added in the postwar versions. In 1968, with the passage of the Firearms Act of 1968, S&W revamped their serial numbering system so there could be no duplicate serial numbers.

If you want to private message someone, click on their username. A screen will come up with some options, "start a conversation" being this forum's version of a PM. If you get one, it will show up in the "alerts" at the top of the page, where your "likes" are shown.

· Registered
217 Posts
I also have a 27- made in the 77-78 time frame. I bought it a few years ago from a local shop still new in the presentation case. I don't mind having a safe queen and it has remained unfired by me since I acquired it.

A couple of years ago I found a 1973 vintage 27-2 that looked like it had been someone's hunting sidearm as it had a fair amount of holster wear and mishandling scratches. However, the action was still as tight as when it was new and it locked up like a bank vault. It was languishing in the back of the case at a LGS and as I am a sucker for orphan Smith's, I negotiated a decent price (by today's standards) and brought it home. This one's definitely not a safe queen and is a sweet shooter. It had a beat up set of rubber grips on it which I replaced with a beat up set of Walnut diamond stocks I had laying around.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are correct, the "N" serial numbers only apply to N frame guns, and the other frame sizes have their own letters. The "S" previously used indicated the guns had the new "Safety" feature, a hammer block that was added in the postwar versions. In 1968, with the passage of the Firearms Act of 1968, S&W revamped their serial numbering system so there could be no duplicate serial numbers.

If you want to private message someone, click on their username. A screen will come up with some options, "start a conversation" being this forum's version of a PM. If you get one, it will show up in the "alerts" at the top of the page, where your "likes" are shown.
Thanks for the serial number info.

About the "Private Messaging" or "start a conversation" information from both you and 'oldgrowth'. I don't see either "message" as 'oldgrowth' describes, or 'start a conversation' as I hover or click on different screen names. I will provide a screenshot of what I see when I click on 'Hair Trigger' screen name. Perhaps a moderator can explain what is wrong with my account? I am using Firefox but I tried it in Microsoft Edge as well with the same results.

If I click on the name, it just goes to a larger version of the pop-up that is in the screenshot but in the person's profile area. As you can see, if I hover on the elipsis (the three vertical dots) , it gives only one option and it says "ignore".

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

1 - 20 of 44 Posts