Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve asked this question on other forums regarding using hand loaded ammo in a self-defense weapon. Many internet commandos truly believe that one must use factory loaded ammo or else they will go straight to jail because the attorney will make some outrageous claim that the reloads were “too” powerful and designed with extreme malice in mind. Can anyone actually site a legal action against the shooter using handloads that negatively impacted his/her defense in any way? I carry factory ammo in my self-defense guns because it’s just as easy and I don’t want to be the first case to deal with that argument, but I’ve never been able to find any evidence of any litigation that has actually be negatively impacted by handloads. Anybody know of any?

G

·
0 Posts
Mas Ayoob has done all he can to explain the reasoning. It all boils down to not giving the prosecuters any more leverage in trying the case. In reading the debate that sometimes goes on...I have to agree with his basic premise.

On the flip side....Lot's of folks are of the attitude that they'd much rather be judged by 12 then carried by six... ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I understand why folks (including myself) would use factory ammo, I'm just curious if anyone actually has any proof that it has been a negative factor in a trial. Although I do respect Mas Ayoob for his accomplishments and success in the gun writing, etc. business, I don't think he hung the moon and that everything he says is always the gospel.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I've read most of the stuff that Ayoob has written on the subject. I have respect for his opinions, but also realize that he makes a living from writing about and testifying in court on this very subject. JMO, but the most important factor to consider is survival. 100% functioning reliability is a necessity - 99.9% may not hack it when you need it most! ;)

I carry meticulously-assembled 9mm handloads in my autos chambered for that cartridge - they're loaded with Gold Dots in Speer brass with CCI primers. Hope I never have to use 'em, and I'm not sure how anyone would ever know that they're handloads. I'm not telling. I have 100% faith in the function of my 9mm handloads - less faith than that for 9mm factory tactical ammo. :|

When I carry any of my .45s, I load up with my stash of Israeli TZZ hardball. In my experience, it has operated at 100%, so factory ammo wins out here.

When I carry a revolver for SD (against potential 2-legged adversaries) I always load up with various types of quality factory ammo - since there are no functioning/ammo issues with any of them.

xtm

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well said. That's also where I'm coming from. After years of asking (only on the internet) I still have yet to see any substantive evidence that it matters what kind of ammo you carry (factory or handload). Lots of opinions but no fact.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Xtimberman brings up a good point. (He beat me to the keyboard. :roll: ) If you don't open your mouth, and tell them that you use handloads........how will they know???

Most lawyers don't know a bullet from a claw hammer. They only know what they are told by others. They haven't got the foggiest clue...................but they know how to use words, to convince the Jury that you are guilty of something. :? Bob

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gizamo said:
Charlie,

Here is a link to the article that Mas wrote about the Daniel Bias case. I think it might be of interest to you...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n26806104/

giz
Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to be based on an inditement of the handload, only whether it was murder or suicide. Handloads were mentioned but it didn't seem to be the determining factor of her death. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Gee, guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all "self-defence" ammunition "designed with extreme malice in mind?" I wouldn't want it if it wasn't. If I were to use my handloaded ammunition for self-defence, I'd want the meanest, nastiest, most brutal mother bangin' bullet I could afford.

When I shoot that sucker, I don't wanna wound 'im and piss 'im off. I want that joker down for keeps. And, if he so much as twitches, I'm gonna plug 'im again.

In this economy, I understand that prison ain't such a bad retirement plan. 'Sides, I can always come up for parole. Last I heard, you don't get paroled from dead.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
QC.....sounds to me like ....you should carry a Remington 870 with the barrel and stock cut to a minimum, loaded with 00 Buck!!!! :eek: :lol: Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts