Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went shooting yesterday with my Colt 38 super. The government model just feels right in my hand and I shoot it better that any other handgun. The colt is also the best shooter in my weak hand. So I pulled out my Colt SAA's to see how they feel in my hands (because I have two of them and two hands). They also feel natural in my hands like the government model. Well now I have to bring out the two N frames to check them out. I did not get the same natural feeling at all. I think it's the trigger reach on a double action revolver that throws off my grip and N frames are not to big for my hands. So I thought maybe I'll sell them and buy another single action, government model or SAA. Naw I'll get over it. Which handguns fit you best?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am real fussy about grips so I wont keep a gun if it doesnt feel right. Just sold off my 10mm XDM which was a great gun but just to large around for me. Right now my meager collection all feel awesome! Natural pointers and they make me look like a good shooter!! :)

I have meaty hands but short fingers.

CZ p10c is my FAVORITE plastic gun of all time. if you cant look like tactical ted while shooting this you should move to a slingshot. Grip is outstanding!!

not my pic

Ahrends Retro banana. I really liked the look of the 3-5-7 grips but they broke my thumb bone and The search was on. Until I found these. The grips made me faster on original acquisition and follow up shots. I LOVE them!
DSCF1085v1sm.JPG

686.JPG

Didnt know how I was going to feel about these and was ready to replace the grips as soon as I got the gun but .. DAYUM .. they feel and shoot great for me. I was afraid it would put my hand to low but I am killer with these grips.

Match10.JPG

My 642 came with these bitty rubber grips .. you cant use a speedloader with them without some real work but They are super comfy to shoot with and all I have to do to be on target is raise my arms so .. since tactical reloads usually isnt a thing I think I will keep them on and bank on being able to shot this gun really accurately. I will give up the reload for being able to put 5 rounds in a circle the size of the bottom of a cup at 7 yds.

642.JPG

I have the large Lett style grips on my 3" ruger gp and while they feel goood to shot .. I would never use them in competition or as a carry. They are a touch large and the rubber doesnt let you hand naturally slide into position. Its my wifes primary range toy so for the range its great but for anything else I would go back to wood.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,800 Posts
I prefer a Colt SAA or a government model 1911 for range shooting. My S&W 1006 and S&W 29-2 .44 magnum are very close to the right feel.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that my 39-2 feels very good in my hand. For my best shooting I should stick with Colt SAA's, government model's and my S&W 39-2.

·
Super Moderator
34,436 Posts
These two fit mine best:

H&K VP9 and Walther CCQ both in 9mm.

This one also has an excellent fit to the hand:

Steyr M40 in .40.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
These two fit mine best:

This one also has an excellent fit to the hand:

Steyr M40 in .40.
I had a styer in 9mm years ago .. it was a feeding nightmare but .. you are right .. that thing just melted in your hand. Ergos were over the top. Mine had the trapezoidal sights some people hated .. I thought they were awesome. Really liked the gun .. except that it wouldn't make it through a mag of ammo without a jam.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I notice that a number of us favor “finger-groove” stocks. I have both, but in my .357Mag EDC Ruger, they really help tame the recoil. Hank

·
Super Moderator
34,436 Posts
I had a styer in 9mm years ago .. it was a feeding nightmare but .. you are right .. that thing just melted in your hand. Ergos were over the top. Mine had the trapezoidal sights some people hated .. I thought they were awesome. Really liked the gun .. except that it wouldn't make it through a mag of ammo without a jam.
So far no feeding problems with this one after more than a few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts