Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

I'm looking to get a new handguard/quad rail to replace the plastic guard that came with my Sport II rifle, and was just curious as to what others have on theirs or what might fit best.

I've been looking at this Xtreme Tactical Sports M4 Carbine Quad Rail as of late, mainly because I'd eventually like to have the option to have a vertical grip attached to help with stability & ease, and then perhaps other accessories.

My only concern, is since my rifle came as "Optics Ready", and does not have the A2 sight on it, would this type of quad rail leave too much bare space on my barrel, or am I needing a handguard/quad rail that is a bit longer to fill in that space if need be? Just want whatever I purchase to fit right, look right, and be correct.

Much appreciated, as always!

-Mack

Camera accessory Rectangle Font Electronics accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
31,589 Posts
Hey Mack,
I purchased a quad rail for my AR15 shortly after I got it. Personally I like the versatility with adding things and placement. The biggest complaint I had was it was pretty rough on the hands so I bought filler strips which are excellent for comfort and grip and can be modified to fit small to large areas of the rail. Should not be a problem with optics placement.
Later,
Curt

Reactions: pmack18

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Quad rails are bulky and a thing of the past. Get an M-lok rail, and you will want one that is longer than that quad rail.
M-lok rails allow you to attach accessories without having to remove the rail. These days you can can get any accessory with an M-lok fitting, making the quad rail obsolete

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'gap'. The one you're looking at is designed to clamp around the handguard cap.

Anyway... I'd forget about that quad rail.

For installing a vertical grip on your OR I'd go with a Magpul M-Lok handguard. You can install an accessory on the sides. $29 for the handguard plus whatever vertical grip you choose.

Three pics to show you what it will look like.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Cylinder

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Super Moderator
19,968 Posts
There is little in life worse than having a quad rail meat grinder on a rifle. Modern M-lok forearms are so much better suited to adding accessories to your rifle. And you won't chew up your hands when shooting either. Magpul makes many different designs, that could suit your needs. There are many other companies that make them as well. Go to either Brownell's or Midway to look at some examples, then search the net for the one you want, and get it ordered.

Reactions: Curt360 and pmack18

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Personally I would get a longer hand guard. Either way looks ok to me, but it is easier to shoot if you can get your hand out further on the hand guard

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have a quad rail on my Sig Patrol 516 with Surefire railroad tracks to make it smoother. Overall the the Sig was too heavy for this old man, so I gave it to my son and he steered me to the Sport II and he replaced the bulky guard with an M-Lok handguard topped off with the EOTech XPS-2. It is still lighter and easier to control and I am shooting more accurately now. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Phil, I just noticed your M-Lok has seven slots and is really long. The M-Lok my son picked out for me only has 3 1/2 slots. When we went out to the county firing range he noticed I held my left arm way out in front, which is the way I have always fired any rifles, but he said to try bringing in my left hand to a point just in front of the magazine to hold the rifle. Since it is lighter, it was more stable that way and my accuracy improved dramatically! I never even thought that the M-Lok came in different lengths...
Good shootin' to ya!

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Handguard is Midwest Industries. It's 14in. They make 'em from 4.5in to 17in. There's tons of handguard makers these days offering everything imaginable.

What I really like is the Arisaka fingertip. I must have tried a half dozen different hand stops, AFG, vertical grips... on and on. The Arisaka works for me. I really need to go through my AR parts box and get rid of so much stuff I'll never use. Maybe I'll run a for sale ad here one of these days.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Line Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
19,968 Posts
Phil, I just noticed your M-Lok has seven slots and is really long. The M-Lok my son picked out for me only has 3 1/2 slots. When we went out to the county firing range he noticed I held my left arm way out in front, which is the way I have always fired any rifles, but he said to try bringing in my left hand to a point just in front of the magazine to hold the rifle. Since it is lighter, it was more stable that way and my accuracy improved dramatically! I never even thought that the M-Lok came in different lengths...
Good shootin' to ya!
Holding your hand out farther on the forearm helps with balance, and stabilizing the rifle. Reach out as far as you can, and then back your hand in about 3 or 4 inches, that is close to where reaching is at it's best. Holding your arm with a slight bend at the elbow. It looks somewhat awkward but it really does improve shooting accuracy.
Holding your hand at the magwell doesn't improve things much at all, and can actually make matters worse by shortening the triangle of balance points. Much like longer barrels have better inherent accuracy because of increasing the length of the sight picture
Find some videos of a few 3 gun competitions and you'll see nearly everybody there holds the rifle with their hand and arm extended. Most shooting videos are now teaching to hold a rifle that way.

Cap Air gun Shooting range Trigger Baseball cap

[video=youtube;0AUldPdj9E4]

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Whatever works for ya, works for ya. Kinda like all the foregrips I've tried. Each one was supposed to be the correct way... yada yada yada... endless high-speed low-drag hype. But what worked best for me is a little finger stop less than an inch long. So ya know... it is what it is.

·
Registered
31,589 Posts
Looking to purchase a new complete upper to attach my Nikon P-223 scope and will be going with the longer and sleeker handguard. Will enhance the versatility of my rifle.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Endless choices these days... from $300 uppers to $1,500 and higher. Need to pinpoint the intended use and budget to narrow it down.

By the way... a new upper is like an irresistible magnet for buying another lower. So... if you think you're going to save money with multlple uppers and just one lower be prepared for that plan to fail :). Besides... you can pick up a complete lower ready to rock and roll from Palmetto for under $150.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts