Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of finding/ordering an oversize hand for a 586-4 and have a couple of questions:

1. What is a "Floating" hand?
2. Will a hand for a 586-3 work for a 586-4?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The "Floating Hand" is a wobble-fit on the trigger. It is supposedly more forgiving in assembly.... to me, the jury is still out on that and I prefer the older fixed stud type.

Not sure about the -3 & -4 interchangeability. But if not, you may find a complete trigger with hand and hand spring that will fit up for you.

Good Luck.

Drew

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I decide to try this myself, am I going to get into something I wish I hadn't?

I'm very comfortable with autos and have done trigger work and minor fitting of small parts on 1911's, Sig's and Beretta's, but have only felt comfortable working on Ruger's when it came to anything internal on a revolver. I had a hard enough time taking the cylinder off of a Colt Peacekeeper just to replace the ejection rod spring. :lol:

I just can't get the gumption to take a side plate off and see all them parts staring at me. :?

·
Registered
753 Posts
A floating hand can be swapped for a standard one. The oversized hand has a bushing which will always find center so the "sing" of the hand is built in. In therory it works but S&W soon dropped it. It didn't work. :cry:

I'd call S&W and order it from them. 1-800-331-0852
part#210630000 $13.55 -3 HAND, OVERSIZE

I would assume the -3 would work perfectly, just ask them before you give your credit card.

You may what to get a proper screw driver set so you don't damage the sideplate screws. Also a rebound tool is handy to aid you in putting back the rebound block.

If you go for it read my teardown notes and go one step at a time, you will be suprised how easily they come apart. A kid can do it. If all else fails, put the old hand back in and no harm or fowl. Just post back and someone will talk you thru it, if you get stuck. hpzl;n;

Don't let this scare you!!

Picture of MIM gun... all I could find in real time.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and ordered one from Midway as I get 10% off my order until my birthday (which is only a couple of days away). Ordered a bunch of other stuff and figured might as well get one. They had a regular (non floating) one for a -3, so if it doesn't work, I'll throw it up in the classifieds - someone might need it.

I've got a set of gunsmith screwdriver's I've had for a number of years and have a tool I made that looks a lot like the rebound tool, maybe it'll work. ;)

I'll be pouring over your FAQ thread and getting real intimate with it. Guess we'll know how it went in a week or so. :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
LeMat, when you lift the trigger off the stud and out of the gun, you need a little screw driver to press on the hands torsion spring, then just slip out the old hand and slip in new one.

Before you swap the hand, see how it fits in the hand "window". If it goes in with no binding, your good to go. If it binds, the window will need to be filed in order that the hand fits. The factory screws up a lot when they cut the slot for the hand. I doubt you will have to file it.

Also, while you have it apart, make sure you clean it up inside! :D They get dirty believe it or not. The side plate does zero to keep the dirt and fowling out.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And filing should only be done on the left side of the window, correct?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes, if the new oversized hand won't slip into the cut out, then it gets filed open until it does. The left side of the window is on the cylinder release side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts