Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired a model 1917. Without opening the sideplate, it seems like it's in very good condition. However, the hammer (which has the firing pin attached) protrudes when all the way down. I think this is a problem. I notice on other people's M1917s it looks like the hammer stops "back" of where mine does, such that you can see the hole that threads the hammer. As you can tell from my photos, that hole in the hammer is covered when the hammer is down on my gun.

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

This prevents the cylinder from closing when the revolver is loaded. The tip of the hammer hits the rim of the bullet. I'm not going to try to force it closed.
IMG_1934.JPG

There is no cylinder play, the crane does not move when closed, the ejector rod does not wobble, the SA/DA functions appear to work. There's no hammer pushoff and the cylinder looks like it's indexing properly. I don't see any obvious signs of damage where the hammer rests, but I know nothing of gunsmithing.
IMG_1932.JPG

So why is my hammer doing this? Can it be fixed, or is the gun ruined? I apologize if this was covered earlier. The search function here is broken and returns "No Results Found" regardless of the parameters. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Your problem could be related to the rebound slide and/or spring. It is what makes the hammer rebound after striking the primer, so the firing pin isnt sticking out.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
This thread might get more interest in the “Gunsmithing” section.

But, I agree with Jonesy814 about the rebound spring or slide being a logical culprit. If I get a chance this weekend, I will pull apart one of my 1917s and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts