Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious .. designers might make changes based solely on aesthetics but engineers I think wouldnt .. What are the advantages or disadvantages of Half Lug Vs full lug from a performance/longevity angle?
Alex

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Prolly some of both. Injunbro makes a good point, but I don't like full lug guns and so only have one- in a J frame .38 Spl, no less. :lol:

It would make absolutely no difference from a longevity angle.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The full lug must add a significant amount of weight. I don't know if the steels or different or what other differences there might be but I weighed my 3"686 and my Half lug Ruger Match 10mm champion with 4.2 bbl and the GP was only 2 ozs heavier.

Edited to add
I may have messed up how I worded it so here is what I got
3" 686 unloaded 2lb 4 oz
4.2" Ruger GP100 Half jug unloaded 2lb 6oz

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
I like both styles. I am glad S&W makes revolvers both ways. Otherwise they would all look alike.
The initial Pythons had a hollow underlug. Someone along the way decided the extra weight at the barrel would be nice for recoil control, and they started making it solid, so I would think that was an engineering change, since the looks didn't change
According to the factory websites, the 3 inch 686 plus weighs 36.8 oz., and the 3 inch GP100 weighs 36 oz.
The new 2.75 inch, model 66 weighs in at 33.5 ounces, so over 3 ounces for the extra quarter inch of barrel with full underlug

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
The full lug must add a significant amount of weight. I don't know if the steels or different or what other differences there might be but I weighed my 3"686 and my Half lug Ruger Match 10mm champion with 4.2 bbl and the GP was only 2 ozs lighter.
It's not just the "weight", ya also gotta consider the "balance".......and the "balance" factor increases with "recoil & lift".

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not just the "weight", ya also gotta consider the "balance".......and the "balance" factor increases with "recoil & lift".
That is true .. and I think there is something to be said for how far out from you the weight is. Had a 6in GP and while it wasn't tremendously heavier the weight was further out front and messed with me some. I suppose a half lug there might make some difference and give you the extra length without putting all the weight way out front?

I honestly thought the engineers were trying to combat barrel flex or something?? I had read recently on some forum how the hlaf lug was faster in competition but I couldnt see how it would make that much a difference so I figured I would ask instead of staying ignorant.

Looks wise .. I love em both. My little 686 looks like a battle beast with unfluted cylinder and heavy underlug but the longer ruger with half lug is kinda sexy too.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
In the same way that I can appreciate the styling of a 1956 Chevy as well as a 2020 Audi A8 I like classic guns with their pencil barrels as well as more modern guns with their full underlug barrels. Some folks on here seem cocked, locked, and ready to rock at all times. To many questions there is no single answer.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
it all comes down to mass and balance. I do like a 686.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts