Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7:30 PM last evening, my wife and I were about 20 minutes into a movie, we had ordered in Italian food, which was in the oven, I told her I was going to set the table and we’d eat, but it didn’t happen. As I was approaching the oven, I was suddenly struck with a paralyzing pain in my lower left back that caused me to hold onto the kitchen counter top and I wasn’t able to move for several minutes. The pain simply wouldn’t go away and I have to be near death to go to the doctor, much less a hospital, but this was like something I’ve never experienced! I wasn’t about to call 911 and both my wife and I had finished off a couple of cocktails, so driving was out (I couldn’t have driven in that amount of pain alcohol or not), so she called her son, he showed up and drove me to the ER of the local hospital. My son and his family were in California on a bit of a vacation on the beach and the stepson is much closer anyway. It turns out that I suffered a muscle spasm in my lower back, although I can’t think of anything I had done to have triggered it. I was there for about 3 hours, but the surprising thing is, besides me, there was only one other person that came into the ER while I was there, a woman that had taken a spill and hurt her ankle.

If you watch any news, local, state or national, you’ll see that Arizona is a major hot spot for the COVID 19 outbreak and hospital space is supposedly running scarce, well at least ICU beds are, so I was expecting a crowd, but no, the opposite in fact. Now, I’m not sure if COVID potentials are screened out and sent to another door, but I didn’t observe any of that happening. I did have to answer several questions related to the virus, but that was it. Again, this is just one hospital in the greater Phoenix AZ area, so it might be different in other locations, but I was happy to avoid what I imagined it would be. Today, it feels as if I was kicked hard by a horse or mule, it hurts, but is manageable, last night it wasn’t and I hope I never have to repeat it again!

·
Registered
9,097 Posts
Been there myself; turns out I lifted some stuff lsightly wrong and off center and felt like you did; RICE method helped a lot as did a Flexeril

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
My wife worked for an orthopedic doc years ago. He reported that your experience is very common. Some folks get it just doing up their zipper wrong. Been there, too!!

The muscles in the back are very sensitive to anything that’ll hurt the spine, and will clench up instantly to protect it.

What I hear lately is that exercises to strengthen the core muscles really help lessen the frequency and intensity of these spasms.

Expect several days of the kind of muscle ache you get if over-exercising. Should go away.

Good luck, Stacy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Glad you had someone there to help and felling better . Few years ago on Christmas Eve drove myself to the ER swelled up in severe pain from pancreatitis. Was the only patient there so got a room quick , celebrated Christmas with a shot of Morphine 🥴

·
Registered
20,410 Posts
Glad things are going better for you today. Once you feel better stay as active as you can.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Ahhh, good ol' muscle spasms in the low back. Better than a kidney stone, but not by much in my experience.
The local ER also screens people before entry by asking about fever, cough etc. My wife says if they think you have it they will then gear up with face shields, gloves and gown, in addition to the mask, before letting you in

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
That's a pain that is impossible to describe, unless you've had one. My first one was when I pulled a full cup of coffee from the vending machine - simple movement. It hit so hard, so fast , that my reflex crushed that coffee cup like a tissue - but never noticed the burn. My heart attack was minor in comparison. Might mention it to your doctor - just for the record.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My back spasms were a bit higher, but the XRay of my spine was scary. Seeing your bones pulled way out of place like that does explain the pain, though. I almost couldn't make it to the bathroom using a walker! My massage therapist tried everything she knew and could NOT get it to release, so to the doctor I went. That's when I got the XRay. Then, with the cause of the horrendous pain identified, he prescribed Physical therapy.

I had to go to PT for several weeks of stretches and core strengthening exercises before the muscle knots would really let go. Oh my gosh, the pain when they force you to pull on/stretch that knotted up muscle.............but over time you get fixed.

It will still GET ME if I neglect to do any stretches for a few days.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
About 7:30 PM last evening, my wife and I were about 20 minutes into a movie, we had ordered in Italian food, which was in the oven, I told her I was going to set the table and we’d eat, but it didn’t happen. As I was approaching the oven, I was suddenly struck with a paralyzing pain in my lower left back that caused me to hold onto the kitchen counter top and I wasn’t able to move for several minutes. The pain simply wouldn’t go away and I have to be near death to go to the doctor, much less a hospital, but this was like something I’ve never experienced! I wasn’t about to call 911 and both my wife and I had finished off a couple of cocktails, so driving was out (I couldn’t have driven in that amount of pain alcohol or not), so she called her son, he showed up and drove me to the ER of the local hospital. My son and his family were in California on a bit of a vacation on the beach and the stepson is much closer anyway. It turns out that I suffered a muscle spasm in my lower back, although I can’t think of anything I had done to have triggered it. I was there for about 3 hours, but the surprising thing is, besides me, there was only one other person that came into the ER while I was there, a woman that had taken a spill and hurt her ankle.

If you watch any news, local, state or national, you’ll see that Arizona is a major hot spot for the COVID 19 outbreak and hospital space is supposedly running scarce, well at least ICU beds are, so I was expecting a crowd, but no, the opposite in fact. Now, I’m not sure if COVID potentials are screened out and sent to another door, but I didn’t observe any of that happening. I did have to answer several questions related to the virus, but that was it. Again, this is just one hospital in the greater Phoenix AZ area, so it might be different in other locations, but I was happy to avoid what I imagined it would be. Today, it feels as if I was kicked hard by a horse or mule, it hurts, but is manageable, last night it wasn’t and I hope I never have to repeat it again!
At the hospital I go to (St. Joe, Ann Arbor) for my port flushes monthly and my CT scans and follow up stuff, all the Covid patients are sequestered at the far end of the hospital totally away from the cancer wing, radiology and imaging and eye care. I asked. Was told that no Covid patients ever set foot in the end I'm in. Of course that don't mean I still don't have to answer 50 questions. have my temperature taken and wear a mask at all times because I do. As big as it is (600 beds), I'm sure they have some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
About 6 months ago I reached into a drawer to get a tee shirt and I'm still feeling a nagging pain from it. I've had catches in my back before but this one is lasting longer than any others. Back in 2013 I reached up to the medicine cabinet to get my tooth brush one morning and the next thing you know I was on the floor crawling to the bedroom. That car crash I was in back in 1968, thanks to a friend of mine that was driving, has come home to roost.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've had many of them over the years. The last one was at the end of last year. I stepped out of the shower and twisted round to grab the towel and that was all it took. I was stuck. Usually it only takes a couple of days of rest and I can function again but not this one. It took several weeks for it to get better and then it got worse again. It went on like that for months. I've never had a heart attack so I can't compare them but I have passed a kidney stone and the back thing is a lot worse.

I hope that you get better soon.

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
Stacy, glad they found the problem and glad are on the mend. Interesting to hear about the Covid-19 "crowd". Echos what my brother says as he is ER nurse in hospital in Covington, LA.

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
Glad you were treated and are OK.

Not questioning the diagnosis, the symptoms you described are common when experiencing a kidney stone. So... keep well hydrated in the future (water).

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Glad your OK Blackcloud2. Yesterday I was loading up the dishwasher while watching TV. Anyway something caught my eye and as I was watching I was backing up to the dishwasher that is until my legs met the DW door. Then I fell over it backwards but manage not to land on the door but went off of it to the side and hit the floor. Nothing broken on me or the dishes just scratch up some on my back and a little sore. I feel very lucky. Note to self watch where you are going.:mad: mad at self.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Glad that things are getting better. Take it slow for a day or two.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Stacey,

You are plenty lucky once you discovered the lack of wall to wall Covid cases, that they did not convert you to Soylent Green right on the spot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The exact thing happened to me years and years ago. It was like my back simply locked up and I couldn't even straighten all the way up. The nearest ER was only a mile from my house, and I managed to drive myself there. The doctor examined me, said "muscle spasm" and "I'm going to give you a shot that'll fix you right up." It was some sort of corti-steroid. He gave me the shot with a really big needle in my upper left shoulder. It had absolutely no effect. He came back into the room about fifteen minutes later. He said he could give me another shot if I could stand it. Got the other shot, and after about thirty minutes, it began to ease up. I'd had pulled muscles before, but nothing like that. Took about a day to get back to normal. It's never happened again. No idea what brought it on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts