Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been watching this no dash 686 over the last few days on GB and that when the bid was at $620. I just looked at it again today, with a little over a day left to bid, and now it's at $811.00. I have the same revolver, except in better shape(minus a scratch on the side plate) and with nicer looking, original target grip's. Surprised by the bidding on this and the amount of the bid.

Heck, I should be able to get $900 for my 6" 686 no dash...comparatively speaking.:LOL: Here are a couple of pics of my 686.

Will be interesting to see what the final winning bid will be.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Older Smiths are gaining in value as they become fewer in number and more and more people reject the new stuff.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Don’t be surprised. The rising tide lifts all ships. Nice models are appreciating in value and some examples take on an auction value that is just astounding. Some say prices are dropping but I see the opposite. Enjoy the jewels you have!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Curt, very nice looking 686. I am not surprised at all about the prices of the older guns. I think the stainless guns hold their value because the finish stays nice. You can shoot them and most of the time you can’t tell. I’m glad I have mine.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
The only thing is, you are drawing a value comparison based on 1 gun. What is the average selling price for a 6", 686. With Gunbroker there is always the competitive aspect of the auction, and some people hate to lose, even if it costs more than it should. I would guess that the average on a 6" 686, without the box is less than what this example sold for, but the prices on the older guns is going up.

·
Registered
17,960 Posts
The older guns are increasing especially if on GB the market is so big usually there is a good demand for them. Yours does look nice. I had two and sold a 6 inch 686 last year for 825 and no haggling. Buyer was younger and just liked it. Was glad to see some younger people desiring the older revolvers.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
214 Posts
The older guns are increasing especially if on GB the market is so big usually there is a good demand for them. Yours does look nice. I had two and sold a 6 inch 686 last year for 825 and no haggling. Buyer was younger and just liked it. Was glad to see some younger people desiring the older revolvers.
I’m a younger guy getting into Smith and Wesson. Every time I’mshowing em to my friends they always tell me how cool they are and “see I want something like that”. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a no dash 686 go around 900. People post em at 8-900 around FL pretty regularly. I just hope these great guns stay in the fairly affordable price range so guys like me can keep buying them.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Dang... I guess it's time to review and update the values of my S&W's that I have scheduled in my firearms insurance.

My 686 no-dash:

And 686-3

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 686 I described on GB sold for $826.00.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
The only thing is, you are drawing a value comparison based on 1 gun. What is the average selling price for a 6", 686. With Gunbroker there is always the competitive aspect of the auction, and some people hate to lose, even if it costs more than it should. I would guess that the average on a 6" 686, without the box is less than what this example sold for, but the prices on the older guns is going up.
When you factor in inflation, the price really isn't going up at all. In reality it's going down......

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only thing is, you are drawing a value comparison based on 1 gun. What is the average selling price for a 6", 686. With Gunbroker there is always the competitive aspect of the auction, and some people hate to lose, even if it costs more than it should.
Yeah, weird stuff happens on GB and eBay.

People go nuts and bid stuff up to way more than it's worth (see objectively, vs. what they could order elsewhere).

When I've "shopped" on GB, I've seen the exact same gun (NIB) go for ±20% or even 25% or more, on the same forum, from more than MSRP at the high end to a screaming deal on the low end.

When you factor in inflation, the price really isn't going up at all. In reality it's going down...
Comparable: I just bought a NIB 610 via GB last Fall, and it was $675 shipped (see screaming deal, above).

That's almost 20% less than this used 686...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Here's the 686 you're looking for........except.......it's not for sale. :giggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts