Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I hate to admit I've had my M&P Sport II AR-15 since last year and it hasn't been shot! I got a great deal and paid $499. And mine is the nicer one.
M&P®15 SPORT II™ WITH MAGPUL® MOE® M-LOK®
Features
• Magpul® MOE® M-LOK® Carbine-Length Handguard
• 2” M-LOK® Picatinny-Style Rail Panel Included
• Forged, Integral Trigger Guard
• Magpul® MBUS® Rear Sight
• Forward Assist & Dust Cover
• Armornite® Finish on Barrel - Interior and Exterior
• Chromed Firing Pin
• 30 Round PMAG ®
• 1/9” Twist
• Threaded Barrel

I am going to go shoot tomorrow. I ONLY have FMJ as I didn't know many ranges don't allow that! One near me does so I am good to go. I bought a TRS-32 Optic for $50 before I got my M&P II and decided to get a different one. The TRS-32 isn't even available anymore except on eBay. I put it for sale yesterday and it just sold today for $109.00. The guy that bought it said he has 2 and likes it better than the TRS-25, said it's bigger and he likes it much better. I was looking at getting a TRS-25? Any advice? I will just plink and range shoot and have for self-defense at the house.

Many get the Mod Fever. I am not going to get too crazy, but I want an Optic (Red Dot I think?) Scope seems too big and heavy for this AR unless you are hunting? Also wanted to get a new Grip, Any suggestions? Was looking at an MOE® Grip – AR15/M4 which is $19.99. Has a Rail on gun for the Optic. Some get a 4 sided rail for front, but I think for now I don't need it and just need to go shoot it.

Any advice you want to give or suggestions on some mods I am game to hear! I shot a buddies custom AR-15, just a few shots last year. But never shot a Sport. I have some of those Blue Metal Snap Caps just so I could get used to a few of the controls so I halfway know what I am doing. I loaded 12 30 round mags so I am ready to go to the range tomorrow! It came with 1 Mag Pul Magazine and then I found a good sale with 30 Round Metal Magazines for $8 and bought 10. I only loaded them yesterday and some say NOT to leave Mags Loaded? But I am not worried about it.

Thanks Guys and Look forward to learning and sharing.

TEX!

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
I put a Hogue overmolded hand grip with beaver tail and no finger grooves on mine and really like it.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

They also make it without the beaver tail and with or without finger grooves. It gives you a nice positive grip in all conditions as opposed to the hard polymer

·
Premium Member
13,674 Posts
I installed a metal Magpul trigger guard... Nice.

I don't hang a lot of stuff off an AR rifle. It's bulk gets in the way, and much of it really doesn't help as much as training.

Lights and lasers can be a tactical disadvantage.

I do have a Knights Armament front hand grip on the rails of one of my rifles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dang! That's over $200 worth of hard to get ammo!

For now just get used to the iron sights unless you have old eyes like I do and need a little help.

I use a Spitfire 1x prism scope and like it real well.

Here's an AR hack for ya...get a LaRue MBT 2S trigger. Only $80 and worth every penny. They also have an ergonomic grip I really like.

Anyway...Enjoy your Sport!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys! Yeah, I bought 1,000 rounds of .557 and 1,000 rounds of 9mm when Ammo was Really Cheap in 2019. I didn't know it was cheap, I thought that was normal, BUT now there is an ammo shortage and NOW I see it's hard to find and VERY Expensive! I read the LaRue MBT 2S trigger is Amazing. I know people LOVE a Good Trigger, but I am Newer on the AR and guns in general. I have 3 9MM but I ain't Lone Ranger. And I have my CCL, but I don't carry as of now. But WHY is a Trigger so important? Just the Way it BREAKS and FEELS? Is it Smoother Feeling? Not sure I'd know the difference, but maybe I would? I mean I can shoot, but I am a beginner in terms of actual TIME spent practicing and shooting guns in general.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
CMC AR-15 / AR-10 SINGLE STAGE DROP-IN TRIGGER

Got me this one with 3.5 lbs pull weight. Really like it. CMC video walks you through the easy install. Your rifle takes the small pin option.

Wait until black Friday and you may find it ~$100. That's what I paid last year anyway.

You'll need a tiny amount of blue Loctite for the screws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My NEXT Purchase is a Red Dot! I am having a Hard Time Choosing Which One? Maybe I should have kept my TRS-32? But I wanted something better. Of course, I know about the Budget Bushnell TRS-25 which is reliable, but now they have gone up to approx. $79.99. The TRS-25 is somewhat small. I don't need HUGE, but a little larger may be better as I wear glasses and can't see FAR without them. Also, some say the OLD (gold writing) version was better than the NEW (White Lettering) TRS-25? Not sure why?

Some Ones I looked at:
-Bushnell TRS-25 1 X25MM 3 MOA $79.99
-The Sig Sauer ROMEO5 1x20MM Red Dot Sight With Auto ON/OFF 2 MOA $149.99
-Vortex Optics StrikeFire II 4 MOA $199.99

I am starting to think that maybe for the $$, and since I am no pro and not sure HOW much I will be shooting, maybe a SAFE Bet is the just TRY the TRS-25? I can basically Buy it for what I sold my new TRS-32 for today. I wish the price came down, I am cheap but can buy whatever within reason. I like good deals. $80 isn't that bad, but these were $50 last year. Everything is going up in the Gun Trade these days! Covid halted production and supply went Down and Prices went UP!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is this the Right Trigger? LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
SKU: LT-MBT-2S

View attachment 487178
That's the one. If you have a few buddies that want one too you can go in together and get five for $70 each. That's what I did.

I'm not a trigger snob and I've never even considered changing triggers on any of my handguns but a mil-spec AR trigger leaves a lot to be desired.

If you are wanting to shoot tight groups or more than a couple hundred yards a better trigger can help a lot.

I have a cartridge type single stage drop in Rise Armament trigger also that cost around $100 and it's a good trigger but for the price the LaRue is hard to beat.

They also make a single stage version. Each one comes with two different springs if you want a heavier trigger pull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
LOOK what I just Ordered ...............😃😃;)(y)(y) I didn't even want a trigger and have no idea what difference it will make and never swapped any trigger before on my 9mm's. I will shoot my M&P for the first time tomorrow so I can compare it to when I swap it for the LaRue. I hope it isn't hard to install? I never installed anything on an M&P Sport II before.............

Now I need a Red Dot! I may just go cheap and get the TRS-25 for $80. I ordered the Version 90% of the people order, the 2 stage.

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
  • SKU: LTMBT-2S

Price:$80.00
Qty: 1

Subtotal = $80.00
Shipping + $6.95
Tax + $7.17
Total = $94.12

·
Registered
183 Posts
LOOK what I just Ordered ...............;)(y)(y) I didn't even want a trigger and have no idea what difference it will make and never swapped any trigger before on my 9mm's. I will shoot my M&P for the first time tomorrow so I can compare it to when I swap it for the LaRue. I hope it isn't hard to install?
I never installed anything on an M&P Sport II before............. Now I need a Red Dot! I may just go cheap and get the TRS-25 for $80.

I ordered the Version 90% of the people order, the 2 stage.

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
  • SKU: LTMBT-2S

Price:$80.00
Qty: 1

Subtotal = $80.00
Shipping + $6.95
Tax + $7.17
Total = $94.12
I bet you'll like it. AR triggers are pretty easy to change out. I think LaRue has a video.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
LaRue trigger is an excellent choice. Top shelf trigger at a very reasonable price.

As far as an optic... a LPVO (low power variable optic) is worthy of consideration unless weight is a primary concern. I have an inexpensive Bushnell 1-4x on one one of my AR .22s.

The Bushnell red dot you're looking at is fine. Primary Arms is a candy store for good budget red dots. Lots of choices

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My LaRue Trigger Came Today! Only took a day! It came from Austin, TX and I am near Dallas, but that was FAST! Now should I try to install it, or am I gonna Jack It All Up! That is the question?

I didn't find a Video for the M&P Sport II, but this looks the same! Not sure why he took off his Grip? But I have a new Grip coming, so maybe I will wait and do everything at once. Looks pretty easy, BUT, I never even done any work to the AR YET, still haven't shot it yet as I planned to yesterday :rolleyes::sneaky:.

I read a few others that had an issue and a few folks said you had to remove a J-Pin on the LaRue prior to dropping in the spring/hammer part. Someone said they had same issue until they removed that and then it went in fine. They said LaRue just ships it with a J-Pin attached for some reason (At this point I don't KNOW and can Visualize what the J Pin Is, but I'm sure I will figure it out once I start). During the install video I am linking below, The guy removes a "PIN" before he put it in so maybe that is what it is, See 6:20 in VIDEO. Just sharing for those who may install the same Trigger. Good luck Y'all and this will at least give me the practice to remove the Upper and Lower since I haven't done anything to the gun yet. It will make me feel like a Man for a few minutes, at least until I mess something up later. ;)

Here is the Video to the Install, it's Really Good and Detailed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LaRue trigger is an excellent choice. Top shelf trigger at a very reasonable price.

As far as an optic... a LPVO (low power variable optic) is worthy of consideration unless weight is a primary concern. I have an inexpensive Bushnell 1-4x on one one of my AR .22s.

The Bushnell red dot you're looking at is fine. Primary Arms is a candy store for good budget red dots. Lots of choices

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I got Really Carried Away 🙄😩.

I decided to go with a Semi-Flat Dark Earth Theme on my M&P Sport II. I ALREADY ordered a Magpul MOE Plus Grip (black) but ill just sell it.

Also MY M&P that I paid $499 delivered in 2019 is the Version with MagPul MOE Furniture, so it already has some extras (see below)

Features
• Magpul® MOE® M-LOK® Carbine-Length Handguard
• 2” M-LOK® Picatinny-Style Rail Panel Included
• Forged, Integral Trigger Guard
• Magpul® MBUS® Rear Sight
• Forward Assist & Dust Cover
• Armornite® Finish on Barrel - Interior and Exterior
• Chromed Firing Pin
• 30 Round PMAG ®
• 1/9” Twist
• Threaded Barrel

(A). From Primary Arms I ordered:

1. Magpul MOE Carbine Handguard (which mine already has) but I got it In Flat Dark Earth Color.

2. Magpul CTR Carbine Stock Mil-Spec in Flat Dark Earth

3. Magpul MOE Plus + HandGrip in Flat Dark Earth to use in place of the black I ordered. If anyone needs a Black New MOE + Grip I’ll sell it.

(B). Red Dot And Optics:
Found a Good Deal, but to me it wasn't cheap, on a Red Dot/Magnifier Combo! 😮 Deal was for $399. Plus I made $100 selling my TRS-35 on eBay that goes toward this.

However, with tax, free shipping, and $5 shipping insurance Reqiired at check out it ended up costing $435.00. A lot of $$, but the best price anywhere. The Romeo5 Red Dot was $159 most places, $149.99 on Amazon But some said they possibly recievesd a fake and it was a 3rd party seller and a few reviews said negative things about them, so I decided against Amazon and then found the Combo.

1. Sig Sauer Romeo5 Red Dot

2. Sig Sauer Julliette 3X Magnifier

I think the 3X Magnification added to the Sig Romeo5 Red Dot will be a Solid Combo Package to make this gun awesome. It will keep weight down vs a Larger Scope, both units will line up perfectly and LOOK Great Together, and allow me to flip the Magnifier to the side if I don't want to use it, and only want the Red Dot. I assume is just use the combo most of the time shooting a targets at a distance.

I think that is enough for now and I need to start shooting the damn thing! I have a little work to do in terms of putting all this stuff on the fun and adding my LaRue Trigger.

Thanks for Everyone's Help and Advice! I really do Appreciate it!

Î

1 - 17 of 17 Posts