Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been very impressed with the little .22 Hornet in the NEF Handi-Rifle, so far. Really can't find anything lacking in it other then the quality of the wood. Found a .243 in a original H&R and was amazed at the stock on the gun. Great wood instead of what I've been seeing on the later guns. This is my favorite caliber in a rifle. I've got a small collection of the classic guns in just this caliber. So I'm hoping this is the tack-driver that the lil' .22 Hornet is.

I've a mind to take this to a friend and let him redo the stock. Pistol grip it and butt cap it, create a cheekpiece, and then checker it. I'm thinking of beavertailing the seperate forestock. Actually think it would then be a stunning looking little single shot...

What do you guys think? I'd prolly have to dump what I paid for the gun back into it...but it would end up being a pleasure on the eyes in a lightweight single-short sporter....

giz

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
Why bother to make a "sow's ear into a silk purse". When you already have that great Remington M-7 in .243. It just don't get much better'n that! ;) I can understand it, if you were lacking the bucks. BUT, You can buy anything that you want....a sporterized Mauser or a Springfield. I really enjoyed looking at that thread about sporterized rifles. Most are pretty sharp looking, and I would be proud to own a couple! OR .....how about a Browning single shot. Think.....CLASS!!!! Bob

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
Giz, I checked out CDNN this morning, and saw a beautiful
Browning 1885 single shot in .30-40 or .38-50. (I think....don't know my cartridges too well.) Good price too!!! Now THAT'S a single shot!!!!
Why fool around with this low class junk........when you can shoot....
THE BEST!!! Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that Original Sleeper... :)

Mine is very similiar to that one without the checkering. Much better wood on my stock, as it is a older H&R. Mine is also bull barreled. No need for a trigger job as mine breaks at just under 3lbs and is very crisp. I want this to be a varmint gun for Coyote's and even though I love my No. 1 Ruger ~ I'm not draggin it through the pucker-brush ;)

giz

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
Hey Giz......sorry about the bum steer! It was a Winchester 1885 Trapper in .30-40 or .38-55. Hope you didn't spend too much time looking fir a Browning. :oops:

Anyway, if you just want the H&R for dragging thru the brush, why make it purdy? Use it as is....and you won't have to worry about it. That's what I call a REAL hunting rifle!!!! ;) Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts