Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my revolver to a gunsmith 4 months ago to repin the barrel on my 4 screw 44 magnum and re blue it. I’ve paid partially for the services I and was told on phone it would be done at the end of January 2020. I called but he keeps on putting off the services I asked to be done and acts rude to me and says that I should just get my gun but I paid and it’s not done. What actions could I possibly do like legal actions?

·
Registered
17,326 Posts
I'd say it depends on how big and aggressive you are.... Sometimes, an in your face encounter is all it takes to make a person 'see the light'.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Since it's now the end of January 2020 I don't see how legal action is going anywhere. If he doesn't get it done soon I'd ask for your gun & money back. Often gunsmiths, like other repairmen, get swamped & don't get things done as soon as they plan.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Good smiths are scarce as hens teeth anymore and the good ones are usually swamped with work. The fella I use is a certified S&W armorer and does work for several law enforcement agencies plus us civilians. Any time I've taken a gun to him to be worked on , I just ask him to call when it's done. I know it's on his list and will be done. He appreciates the fact that I'm not going to call every other day asking for an update.
I'm not familiar with your situation or the quality of your smiths work but sometimes it pays to be patient.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Over the last 55 years I have dealt with incompetent as well as very talented gunsmiths. They all have had one thing in common being behind schedule. Currently my 500 Alaskan being built by an excellent smith is over a year behind schedule, but he called and explained the latest delay. At least I know the job will be perfect.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I sent my revolver to a gunsmith 4 months ago to repin the barrel on my 4 screw 44 magnum and re blue it. I’ve paid partially for the services I and was told on phone it would be done at the end of January 2020. I called but he keeps on putting off the services I asked to be done and acts rude to me and says that I should just get my gun but I paid and it’s not done. What actions could I possibly do like legal actions?
Tell him your 280 and your coming to whoop his a$$, he will need a cop for you and an ambulance for him, or you want your gun and $$ back.. :) you’ll be amazed how quick he responds...just kidding, email him and put esq after your name, another instant result..

Thewelshm

Reactions: TennSharpshooter

·
Super Moderator
19,714 Posts
I had one of my guns take just short of 15 months to get done. I could only find one gunsmith with good credentials and reviews that would take on the work I needed. When I called him he let me know right up front that it would be somewhere between 12 and 18 months before he would be able to get it done. I trusted his honesty, and he delivered everything I needed done at the agreed on price, and on time.
When he called me to let me know it was finished, he also told me some really great news on top of it being completed. He was tuning 8 magazines I had sent him that went with the rifle he was repairing. He told me that 3 of them were pretty rare, and were worth hundreds of dollars for each one. When he sent everything back to me he had separated the 3 valuable mags and packed them very carefully so they wouldn't be damaged at all.
Lesson here, be patient.
If you decide to get it back form him unfinished and take it to another gunsmith, it'll probably take at least the same time frame again to have another gunsmith do the work you need.
Is waiting longer, possibly twice as long again, worth the ending the frustration of leaving it with this gunsmith?
I wish you well in this endeavor.

~Gearchecker~

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’m very fortunate that my gunsmith is one of the few masters of the trade remaining. His specialty is restoration of high end double barrels. Could care less about working on a revolver these days. He has a long time assistant who has worked for him for 30 years and is a very good smith himself. Thankfully both are long time friends and if I take something in that requires the master, he will do it personally I think as more of a favor to me. I never ask how long it’s gonna take because I know he will do the job when he can fit it in to his restorations. Sometimes I’ll have my gun back in 2-3 days. Sometimes a month. I accept his time frame because nothing leaves his bench unless it’s perfect. I recently took him a model 14 with a damaged barrel I purchased cheap. Found a like new 8 3/8” barrel I wanted to have installed. Told me the factory machining on the new barrel was acceptable but he would prefer to re machine the forcing cone before replacing. Took 2 months, but now I have a target gun capable of shooting groups at 25 yards that are one ragged hole. Sadly it’s a rare day when I’m up to the gun’s potential but it was worth the wait and money to have a gun of this quality.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Your post isn't very specific.

At the time you agreed to service was the timeline Jan 2020? If so, then you knew up front that this was gong to be a delayed project. Or was it something else?

You say that things have now become "rude" and the gunsmith would prefer to simply return the gun. When a situation like that occurs it's often because the customer has become a pain in the ass. When you say "I called but he keeps on putting off the services". Does that mean you've been repeated calling the guy? That's enough for many gunsmiths to tell you to come get your gun.

Options:
Stop calling and be patient.
Reacquire your gun.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Since we are talking gun smiths over the years I have used a few for custom work. The first being Flaig's in Pittsburgh that was around 50 years ago, the two most outstanding smiths was Frank Wells for rifles and Andy Horvath for handguns. i only wish I still owned all of the guns they built for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your post isn't very specific.

At the time you agreed to service was the timeline Jan 2020? If so, then you knew up front that this was gong to be a delayed project. Or was it something else?

You say that things have now become "rude" and the gunsmith would prefer to simply return the gun. When a situation like that occurs it's often because the customer has become a pain in the ass. When you say "I called but he keeps on putting off the services". Does that mean you've been repeated calling the guy? That's enough for many gunsmiths to tell you to come get your gun.

Options:
Stop calling and be patient.
Reacquire your gun.
No I really haven’t called. When I talked politely, the gunsmith acted like the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to know a smith that would put a customers' gun back to the end of the line if they kept bugging him.
I don’t bug him, I have called like 4 times the past 4 months, but he acts like a fu(k!ng @$$! The gunsmith keeps putting off the end date and I felt threatened and/or insulted when he said “it’s like I’m taking your gun to Mexico!” “You call like 800,000 times!” He acts really nuts. I literally act polite and say polite things to him like have a nice day.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
So... the story morphs from "I haven't really called" to the next post "4 times", then in PM "4 or 5 times". Can we round it up to a half dozen or more calls? :D

Gun owner: "I don’t bug him"
Gunsmith: “You call like 800,000 times!”

I think it's fair to say there's a difference of perspective. :D

You want your gun back, I'm sure everyone here gets it. Gunsmiths can't gunsmith on the phone. Also consider he probably just hung up from someone who has called him twice as much as you. Unless you no longer want him to do the work (reacquire your gun), I'd just relax and wait for him to tell you the work is complete. Good luck sir.

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
There's the old adage, especially true when it comes to getting something fixed
You can have it
Fast
Good
Cheap

Pick any two.

At best, if the smith refuses to return your gun and/or refund the money, then an attorney should be consulted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts