Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Bill Goodman's Gunshow in Dayton today, mainly to get some cleaning supplies and some primers. To say I was shocked at Primer prices would be an understatement. A few examples;
CCI 500 Small-pistol Primers- $50.00 per 1000
CCI 550 Small-Pistol Magnum- $55.00 per 1000
Winchester Small-Pistol Primers- $40.00 per 1000
Winchester Large Pistol Primers- $50.00 per 1000
Wolf Small Pistol Primers- $35.00 per 1000

One table had 15 cases(Not boxes, cases) of CCI Small-Pistol Primers on the Table and about 25 more cases on the floor behind the table. This was common, all the component tables had loads of primers. There's no shortage of Primers...just integrity. I asked one guy why he was charging so much for Primers and he responded, " Because you'll either pay that price or, you won't reload." They're not even trying to justify it anymore.
So, I'm asking all you reloaders to grab a bullet out of the box and bite it. We need to boycott all Gunshow ammo component sales and gunstores until the prices come down to realistic levels

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Primer supply is coming up around here also. The stores are generally a little expensive but not like the shows. The show prices reflect what DaveWW said. Not only overpriced but arrogant about it also! I do know that my friends and fellow reloaders around here will NOT forget and as bobw says, "......let the scalpers suck air."

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
c pierce said:
I quit going to gun shows years ago. They used to be a lot of fun, then the pros took over. :(
You're too nice. I wouldn't call them pros, I've got another name for that type (not all the vendors are like that but it seems there are more lately).

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
You guys are seeing the beginning of the primers coming to dealers. I still have more primers and powder than the Cabelas about 20 miles away

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The only primers available at the El Paso show were Remington small pistol at $29.95 per 1000. There may have been others, but I wasn't looking for primers this time out.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I have been helping a friend out with gun shows the last 2 years. He has a small gun shop, and he gives me a bit of table space for a couple of non-FFL required stuff for me to sell. What i have found, is that there are a few people who think that they can get whatever they want for primers, ammo, and powder. I was able to sell darn near all of my reloading supplies, but I don't have any mark ups. I can still find primers and powder for prices that are not at all unreasonable. I can still get 1000 primers for under $40.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A month ago a reloading component dealer had primers for $55/m at a show - he was down to $40/m last week.

When the were $55 I asked him if was selling any. He said he didn't want to sell them all because he had to have primers on the table to sell powder and other reloading stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
About 18 months ago my dealer had loads of CCI small pistol primers for $13.95 per 1000. I bought 3000; I should have bought them all.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Saw lots of primers last weekend in VT & NH.

Bought 2,000 Fed Std. Lg. Pistol for $32.95 / M. Could have bought more.

One thing I noted.... most all of the new stock that is arriving at retailers these days are either "Match" or "Magnum" Primers. It seems that the manufacturers are taking advantage of the frenzy to only produce and sell these more expensive components.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I had found a lot of primers early this year for ~ $30 /K At our last show there was hardly any primers again.

I'm glad I have a bit as I'm shooting a mess of 45 acp lately. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts