Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has two guns that he has offered to sell me. He has no idea what they are worth, and hasn't fired them since he was a Police Officer 40 years ago. I need a ball park value on them. I found a value on Blue Book of Gun Values for the model 19, but not for the model 27.
He has a nickel Model 19-3, and a blued Model 27-2 with a 3.5" barrel. They in very nice condition. I'd estimate 95% to 98%.
He just told me to make him an offer.

·
Premium Member
11,539 Posts
Hard to value anything without photos. It would also matter if the model 19 was factory nickel or plated later. Info like sn, frame markings and good photos needed.

·
Registered
24,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have an opportunity to own 2 fantastic revolvers. Both desirable but especially the model 27 with 3.5" which can be quite valuable. Guess your offer will depend on the condition of the revolvers and how bad you want the guns while giving your neighbor a fair price for both. $2000 for both would be a starting offer I would think but there are more knowledgeable members that would give you more specific info on value. Keep us informed.:cool:

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Not an expert, by any means! I would think that you'd be getting a good deal for $1000 for the M-27 3.5" and $600 for the M-19.......depending on condition, they could be worth more. I assume that they are shooters, that have been used.....but well cared for. :D Bob

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,678 Posts
No one really has a 95%/98% pair of a Model 19-3 with a Model 27-2 3 1/2" which doesn't know the value.

What stocks are on the guns? Do they match?

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
The 3.5 inch model 27s are selling for big money. If it has the original grips, box & paperwork a 98% M27 could go for well over $1500 on a Gunbroker auction.
Barrel length makes a pretty big difference on the model 19 too with a nickel 2.5 inch model selling for $875 and up, while the 4 or 6 inch would be more like $700-750.
Blue Book prices are often well behind the current trends in gun sales, especially on older revolvers it seems.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
i have been looking at Model 27's 3 1/2 inch barrel on Gunbroker for a year or more. They just keep rising in value. Does it have the original box? Does the bluing still look good? Pictures would really help. I have seen them in the original box and 99 percent go for more than 3 grand. I am sure your friend knows the value of his guns as 1911 has already alluded to. For us to help you we need SN and pictures, pictures, pictures.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. What Mrerick said..picks and more info.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I bought 3 guns, a pair of Colt 1911s (different models) and a Browning Medalist for $2500. All three in superb condition. I'm told I have an immediate $1000 profit if I chose to list them on Gunbroker. Maybe......

If your friend already knows what a "98% gun" looks like, I bet he has an idea what they're worth. A package deal may save him the hassle of selling them individually, and be "enough" money that he isn't worried about the extra couple-hundred he might have got elsewhere. Cash in hand speaks volumes. But YOU have to do your homework. He has and will expect you to.

Model 27-2's are getting up into Colt Python numbers. Especially the 3.5" barrels. 19-3's are also the peak of S&W craftsmanship - their master gunsmiths were beginning to retire in droves, so these are the last of the really well made ones. So even they are going steep dollars.

Once I bought a near mint Chief's Special snubbie. I had gone to Gunbroker and checked the "completed" sales where there was even a single bid (a huge number have no bids, so you know they're overpriced!). By listing out the pristine guns and their "sold" values, I arrived at a top-end value. I deducted 10%, and that was my offer. He winced, but knew it was a good offer, and took it. It was a legitimate 99% gun. Coiler666, wherever you are, I ended up hating that gun but I'm hoping you're able to enjoy it! You got it for a tad over what I paid for it, and still got a bargain.

Do your homework. Have the cash in pocket - hand the man a wad of hundreds. Tell him that wad in his hand is your offer for both..... Se where that goes. He instinctively will not want to hand those bills back to you.... If he does, be fully prepared to walk. If you aren't prepared to walk, he knows you'll pay more....

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
If the owner knows the value of the guns, and he probably does......he won't be willing to sell them cheap.....unless he is desperate for the cash. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts