Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wipe my gun after cleanning, with a clean, dry cloth, to get all the smelly cleaner and oil smell from the gun. Especially when I'm hunting. It occurs to me that, while you spray your body with scent eliminator, nobody ever mentions the gun. Seems to me that gun cleaner smells would drive any game into the next county!

Same with having a cigarette, or drinking coffee, even having breakfast, before you hunt, would give you BAD BREATH!!! We give off a lot of different smellsthat we never think of.

Paying attention to the wind direction, seems to be THE BEST policy. Bob

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think of these odors all the time. Probably too much. Every time I am out in the woods, like earlier tonight. Its like noise-you think you can't make a sound, yet sometimes a deer will walk right up to you while you're running a chainsaw. You think they will run at the sight of you, but I've had them curious enough to walk toward me, and get pretty darn close too. Out in the open where I am plain as day visible.
I think what time of year might have a lot to do with it. Deer in the fall are generally spooked to significant degree. And they are wild prey species. Think of the instincts they must have. They live each hour like there is a pack of wolves over the next hill, or a hungry mountain lion. Something that wants to eat them. And as far as our presence in their home turf, from their take of the world there is a big difference between a man being out for a casual walk in the woods in June, and a man stalking or otherwise trying to be sneaky. That kind of stuff they don't like at all, and I don't think they stick around when they detect it.
There really can be little doubt, that if a deer can smell cleaning solvent or oil, or bore butter, that there must also be the smell of a man present along with it. I agree with you totally-odorless solvents would be great. Same for muzzle loading cleaners.
But then my too busy mind thinks, how do we really know deer can't/wouldn't smell something that is odorless to us? Or smell us through all our masks and odor blocks? After all, their sense of smell is 100s or 1000s of times more sensitive than ours is, and comparing ours to theirs is like comparing our ability to run against a cheetah's.

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geoff, Even using something like deodorant or toothpaste to brush your teeth, gives off odors. Like I said.....paying attention to wind direction, and always hunting into the wind or cross wind, is always the best policy! Then, it don't matter what you smell like!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Bob,

While I agree that using the wind is the best policy, here in the western Maine mountains the wind swirls nearly every day. A man could go crazy if he took this lead too seriously. What you need to do is play the prevailing wind.

That said I still try to keep my hunting clothes as scent free as I can, play the wind, shoot the first buck that crosses my path and then light the cigar. :lol:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have never took any time to worry about my scent when hunting and especialy the smell of my gun.I use irish springs soap since it came out and old spice deoderant.I do try to keep the wind in my favor and move as quietly as possible.
Metalic clicks and stomping the ground will send game running faster than any thing I can think of so learning to lay your feet down right when you walk is of major importance if you are going to get your game every time and carring a round in the barrel and easing your safety off for shots
.Unless your doing old man hunting sitting on a hillside watching a clearing where they cant hear you with a long range rifle like a 30 caliber magnum or the popular meat destroying 7mm mag and a powerful scope. When you chamber a round you can count on a elk being well out of site and gone forever.
I also will not wear floresent orange.Deer and elk are color blind but floresent orange has phosporus in it to make it glow and is good as a flashlight at night to warn the game of your movements.

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ONENUT, Are you kidding me? Irish Spring for scent elimination? I'm sure the perfume in it smells pretty....to dear women .......not deer! As far as hunter orange ....... I don't have a choice....it's the law in most places around here! Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Dad when he got so old and only able to sit on a stand used that liniment Ben Guy :roll: ..reeked of it. Saw more deer than I did. But he was quiet and did'nt move around.I use masking scent and all that

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
In 1986 I shot one of the biggest bucks I'd ever seen in the Adirondacks ..... I was pretty sweaty after a series of all day drives and was so startled by his unexpected appearance I dropped my half smoked Marlboro.

Then I put a 250 Grn. .358 slug through him from end to end.

That having been said, I still pay attention to scents and sounds when stalking. I want all the possible edge I can get.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I go out and plow up the ground a bit with the tractor then leave it near by. I go in and get a gun and come stomping back to my stand. If I sit for awhile deer show up to see what I've been doing. Pretty much never fails.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Bob K I have no concern at all about scent.I use irish spring soap because it is my favorite brand. Not for any thing to do with hunting.I always get my meat every year I hunt both elk and deer.I mentioned it and deoderant because it has no effect what so ever on my ability to stalk right up on a herd of elk. I have done it many times in my life .
I stalk elk in the brush for close range shots and I also smoke and carry and eat food during the day.I do not know any one that uses any of those scent hiders or attractors.
All my friends and relatives hunt and all are very good at getting there meat and none of them use any scent blocker or atractants.
I believe they are a waste of time and concentrating on your hunting skills of being quiet and learning to move silently and using your ears and eyes are far better ways of insuring you will get your meat.
But if it makes you think your chances are better then I guess the psycological part helps kind of like a lucky hunting hat or something. I do know people who have such things as that.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I am a big believer in Cover Scents.... I know I see more, and better quality game when I use it. But you don't have to go to Cabela's to get it....

As a boy, my Grandfather taught me an Old Indian Trick.... he was a native and a subsistence hunter and gatherer and knew more about the woods, waters, fish and game then any man I've ever known or known of since, bar none. Among other things, he taught me to kick through the ground cover and into the fresh damp earth around my stand and this scent rising would cover mine. Doing this also has the benefit of removing those leaves and branches around my stand that would crunch under foot and give me away if I moved to change position. I rub the fresh earth on my face, legs, boots and hat to cover my scent.

I've also been known to cut an apple or two and put them in my pocket. It's handy to eat later and the smell may give a deer who is browsing upwind a second of pause so that he raises his head at the critical moment.

I'm also a believer in correct usage or appropriate attractants. Two years ago I jumped a small-ish buck downwind and behind me. It was early, just before the rut and he and I were both watching the same herd of a dozen does. I had already put meat in the freezer and was hunting horns. When he got up he wasn't too spooked and quartered away from me at a canter..... I traced him through the brush and it was a long-ish shot of 150 yards or so.... as I was waiting for an opening, trying to sort out a shot and trying to decide if i should pass him up or not, he stopped cold. Turning, he got a curious look on his face, stamped his feet, snorted and then came straight at me at a gallop. I waited until he got within 40 yards, arched my back against the tree I was leaning on, laid the rifle over my chest and out a 180 grain Cor-Lokt through his boiler room. He was down for the count. I was wearing early rut doe urine.

Here he is. Done in by his nose, some skanky old doe piss and my .300.

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drew, I've heard of a hunter, several years ago, that used an apple cover scent. While he was sitting in his tree stand, a swarm of bees attacked him, and stung him to death! :roll: I guess you've got to be careful which cover scent you choose. I use a scent eliminater. So far.....I haven't noticed any effect on my deer hunting. I still don't get nothin', at all!!! :lol:
My "hunting" is mostly for birds and rabbits, but there really isn't too much around anymore! Surprising...... because, though it's getting developed around here, there are, still some woods/fields around to hold game. I guess they're smarter then me!!! I go out, mostly for the exercise of tromping thru the woods and fields.
Those darned deer ticks are everywhere, so I tend to stay on old farm roads/logging roads. Used to see some partridge along those roads. I guess they were easy prey for the coyotes. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
I go out and plow up the ground a bit with the tractor then leave it near by. I go in and get a gun and come stomping back to my stand. If I sit for awhile deer show up to see what I've been doing. Pretty much never fails.
A friend in flat country tells me that ever year when it's time to combine the wheat or soybeans, he puts his deer rifle in the cab of the combine. Says he sometimes gets several in one days time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts