Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple area gun shops post new arrivals on their web page, or send out an email. I got an email yesterday from a large shop that tends to have had some of the best prices around on S&W semi auto handguns and rifles. In the email they had the Sport II at $899.95 and the 15-22 at $559.95. Last January the Sport was $524.99 in a sale flyer and the regular price was only $699.95. The 15-22 was available for $349.95 with a scope and bipod.
The other shop got in a Ruger mini 14 Ranch Rifle with wood stock. They want $1089.99 for it, a good $200 over pre pandemic pricing.
As a result of the prices, I have not even been in a gun shop since I think September.

·
Registered
28,221 Posts
Wait until Joe gets going; our gun buying days will soon be over as they allow lawsuits to put those companies out of business with lawsuits from Bloomie and Soros. Gun and ammo prices have increased a LOT due to material shortages, employee shortages and component price increases

·
Registered
21,496 Posts
YUP!!!! Lots of gun shops have only a few of their racks with guns in them. Same with most gun shops, not having any ammo! Some do have ammo......but charge 3 or 4 times the price of last year. I'm seriously wondering.....who is making all the extra cash????? They all blame the other guy down the supply chain.........but I think they all are to blame......and a lot of us are willing to pay the price, just to get ammo!!!!! So......we're to blame too!!!!

I just keep what I have. Both guns and ammo......because I have prepared for the short term, at least. I've got about 5 boxes of ammo ....for each gun. I don't expect to get into a siege situation with the Government. However, I'm not going to surrender anything to them either!

While I will resist confiscatiion......I'm not going to say anything "heroic".....like Charlton Heston did. That's for "macho" Hollywood Actors to sound tough......but that's just words. I've yet to see any one of them "actually DO anything"! It takes real guts to stand up against over whelming Government forces!

I could say that "Ruby Ridge" or David Koresh fought the Government, and payed the price for their resistance. I'm not saying their cause was right, but they were willing to fight!!!! :unsure: Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fortunately, there are still some honest LGS owners. For example, the owner of one of my local shops got in some primers recently and sold them for pre pandemic prices ($42.00/1000). His centerfire ammo is mostly in the $25-$30 price range per box and he is selling what few guns he can get at close to normal prices. In my opinion, his shop will survive and his customers will remember his actions! Karma, karma, karma!

·
Registered
304 Posts
My LGS has plenty of guns and ammo. Most of the guns are fairly priced compared to everybody else and cheaper than online usually. They have racks and racks of AR's etc which run around 900 on the low end. You can sometimes find them cheaper online but they're never in stock online. They have shipments of ammo coming in daily but most of it is high volume stuff like 5.56 and 9 MM which is going up in price. 5.56 is 15.99 per 20 and 9 MM is 24.99 per 50.

·
Registered
28,221 Posts
YUP!!!! Lots of gun shops have only a few of their racks with guns in them. Same with most gun shops, not having any ammo! Some do have ammo......but charge 3 or 4 times the price of last year. I'm seriously wondering.....who is making all the extra cash????? They all blame the other guy down the supply chain.........but I think they all are to blame......and a lot of us are willing to pay the price, just to get ammo!!!!! So......we're to blame too!!!!

I just keep what I have. Both guns and ammo......because I have prepared for the short term, at least. I've got about 5 boxes of ammo ....for each gun. I don't expect to get into a siege situation with the Government. However, I'm not going to surrender anything to them either!

While I will resist confiscatiion......I'm not going to say anything "heroic".....like Charlton Heston did. That's for "macho" Hollywood Actors to sound tough......but that's just words. I've yet to see any one of them "actually DO anything"! It takes real guts to stand up against over whelming Government forces!

I could say that "Ruby Ridge" or David Koresh fought the Government, and payed the price for their resistance. I'm not saying their cause was right, but they were willing to fight!!!! :unsure: Bob
A retailer has to price his goods based on his replacement costs and availability. If he has zero inventory, he goes out of business. If he has inventory, even higher priced, then he has something to sell and stay open.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A retailer has to price his goods based on his replacement costs and availability. If he has zero inventory, he goes out of business. If he has inventory, even higher priced, then he has something to sell and stay open.
You are 100% correct and I will add that when your available inventory Is reduced due to the shortage you also have to increase prices just to cover overhead. My best buddy owned 5 gun/pawn shops. Normally he sells ammo at an average of $5 a box over cost. More of a convenience item for his customers and it helps sell guns but certainly is not his main profit for his store. However it does help pay utilities and rent. When his availability is cut in half and replacement cost is going up every time he buys, he is forced to sell at about $15 over cost just to reap the same benefits. he is also being forced to buy at places that are higher than normal because all of his distributors are out of stock. The high prices are a combination of factors but of course he gets the reputation of gouging.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some are overcharging, but others are not. I do not feel that it is fair to paint them all with the same brush.
I didn't say over charging, I said getting top dollar. I suspect many are looking outside their normal distribution networks for product to sell, and may be paying more. Also during slow sales times the manufacturers will often have special offers available for gun shops. Both of these shops are pretty good sized and are no doubt able to take advantage of the factory specials. A couple years ago, S&W was doing a "Buy 10 M&P15 Sport rifles and get one free. These shops would probably order 30 or 40 at a time and then offer them at a sale price, but that's not going on now.
Definitely a sellers market and the shops also all have way less inventory to sell now so they have to make their money when they can.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Supply and demand.If the current market value of an item i am selling is more than my acquisition value..yea! It does not always pan out that way.

If you don't like the prices today....be selling instead of buying...it will make you smile.

Capitalism at work :) Got to go check my auctions..;)

Wow..I listed two handguns last night for $150 more than I paid for them a couple of years ago. This morning they both have bids..with 6 days to go.

Come on..papa needs an new engine! Guess I will list the other 3 I have on the chopping block. It's a good time to be selling!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hearing people on this, and other forums, complain about the LGS making money is something else. I guess you all want them to go out of business so all you have to deal with are the National chains who really care about their customers?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think my gun buying days are just about over.
Well, not over for me yet, but I sure as heck am cutting back. No way I can afford to overpay for anything. My acquisition goal for 2021 is exactly half my goal for 2020 (and I had trouble meeting that 2020 goal). :(

Prices are just too dang high right now. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, not over for me yet, but I sure as heck am cutting back. No way I can afford to overpay for anything. My acquisition goal for 2021 is exactly half my goal for 2020 (and I had trouble meeting that 2020 goal). :(

Prices are just too dang high right now. :(
I'm not in a position financially to be picky about price and I'm not getting any younger. If I find something I want when I have money I'll buy it. if the gun shop makes a little money off of it that's fine with me. I'll pay more to buy from my LGS before I'll buy the same thing online. Usually by the time I pay shipping and FFL fees it's not any cheaper anyway.

Reactions: cwells

·
Super Moderator
19,965 Posts
My shop owner refuses to increase his prices any more than necessary. We carry the Anderson AM-15 for $549.95, and the basic S&W M&P 15 for $699.95.
The S&W M&P 22 runs somewhere around $450-500 depending on features and/or accessories.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Not only ammo but support stuff as well. I have a LGS less than a mile from my house. I needed some 50 cal ammo cans for storage. The last time I looked at them they were at $20.00 each. Stopped in there and the price had jumped to $39.99! I don't like going to Horrible Freight but I got them for $16.99 each.

·
Registered
21,496 Posts
The local gun shop (2 miles away) only stocks a few new guns, and has no ammo left. The prices on a new Savage bolt action .223 with a scope (black plastic stock) is about $350.....which is about what they. sold for last year. But, I not looking to buy a new rifle.....that I can't buy ammo for!!!

I've got a similar rifle....Savage MK I .22 bolt actIon with 4x BSA scope (black plastic stock), that I bought almost 18 years ago. Plenty accurate enough for me, for walking around in the woods. I was looking forward to walking in the woods, with no snow, and warmer temps. this Feb and March........then we got 1' of snow a few days ago!!!! DRAT!!!! Looks like I won't be getting out for awhile now. :rolleyes::cautious: Bob

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
I have no issue with Horrible Freight at all and never have. Least there you KNOW where it's coming from.

My take on HF is this... The cheap stuff you know is cheap. The medium priced stuff is for limited use and the higher priced stuff is actually good stuff.

Been buying the higher end HF tools for a while and no regrets at all.

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
My Friend's range/Gun Store has very little ammo. He did let me see the invoice and he is selling bulk 9mm ammo for
$ 0.55 per round and paying $0.45 per round. He has limits as he uses about half the ammo for training classes and lets the pupils buy it at $25/100. They are a small shop and a lot of locals there. He says will not make his students pay more for ammo and still have to pay for the training. That is the type of guy he is.
His guns are about 20% markup and he sells for just three of them in the store about 20 to 40 guns per day when they get shipment in. Are selling a lot of Archery too, as his shelves are pretty sparse there too. He does take older revolvers in and I get some of them. I know is hard for him as a small store, he is on the phone or computer probably 7 hours out of a 10 hour day (most are calls trying to get merchandise and some are background checks.
Think I will stay to my policy that will continue supporting the smaller gun shops and avoid the Academy, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc.
Keep your heads up as they are still common sense buys out there but really got to look and most come up unexpectedly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts