Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be open minded . Do not be stuck in the past . Gun powder is out there , maybe not the w231 or the wst you want. I have found all the gun powder I want . You just have to look. It was not what i had been shooting , but it works just as well if not better. I am not paying 50$ a lb. . There may be a time in the future i do. I may have a few more contacts than some . You were a little nervous the 1st time you ever reloaded a round. Since then you have become comfortable loading the same powder and charge time an time again . If there is a powder out there someone has the data to load it , if you do have the stuff to make it happen.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I agree. I know what I like, but in tough times, I'll use whatever I can get.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I agree. Just bought a pound of Red Dot to try out in case I run out of Bullseye. Have never used it previously.John

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I agree. Just bought a pound of Red Dot to try out in case I run out of Bullseye. Have never used it previously.John
I use more Red Dot than anything.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
It is easy to get somewhat stuck on old favorites, but we may be missing some great newer powders in the process. For example I am falling hard for CFE 223 and have gotten good results with Tite Group in .45ACP instead of the standby 231. It is a good excuse to do some experimenting too.

·
Registered
15,326 Posts
since I am fairly new to reloading I don't have any favorites yet. I have used Unique with good results in a variety of cartridges. The LGS had a bunch of it and I got 2 pounds. I have a feeling I will end up being sorry I didn't get more. Titegroup works good in 45acp, 38 special and also in 9mm. I also got a pound of PowerPistol and have used it with Hornady XTPs in 45, 38 special and 9mm. It meters nicely and has a pretty wide spread between lowest and max charge. It will push a 9mm and 38 special faster than most any other powder, without reaching a Plus P pressure. I will probably be sorry I didn't get more of it too. I figured out what charge of Bluedot I needed to push a 124gr plated bullet in 9mm and loaded 150 rounds of it yesterday using 6.6gr

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm using exactly what I have used for many years and will keep using it for the foreseeable future. I thought ahead and put in a supply of what I wanted. I learned the lessons of the Clinton shortage and will NEVER get caught short again! NEVER!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,737 Posts
At the gun club, we just did a direct order with a regional distributor. Out of 40 pounds of powder ordered (of all types) we got 2. That was after a 4 month wait.

Pistol powders are not showing up at any of our gun shows here in the East Coast Mid-Atlantic region. The dealers also tell me that they cannot get them from distributors. Apparently the powder mill output is going directly to cartridge manufacturing, without powder left to package and sell to reloaders.

I'd like to find some HP-38 / W-231 or TiteGroup around here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts