Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Yep, It looks like a cut down 1917.S&W did not stamp model numbers until 1958 and that was made well before then. Must be for up close work with no front sight

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a stamp on the sideplate that looks like this? View attachment 579502

If yes, it is a Model 1917 built to fulfill the Brazilian contract in 1937. If no, a commercial variant of the S&W Model 1017. Either way a decent revolver, but it needs a front sight.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks, It's nice to see what an intact Brazilian (there is a joke there I'll avoid) looks like. As you can see in the photo this gun's stamp is faded but it looks like it. I can see the 1937 and and 1889 date. I wonder where the front sight went? Any thoughts on what this might be worth?

Attachments

Registered
Not only is the front sight missing, but also 1 1/2 - 2鈥 of barrel. Those barrels were mostly numbered to the revolver so a replacement will always stick out. It also is missing the lanyard ring and stud.

Is the 1889 date a patent date on the barrel?
For it to be considered a shooter, it will need a front sight. As a parts gun, it is worth $2-300.

A front sight, installed, will probably run you $100-150 depending on who does the work.

Here is a uncut Model 1917 from the Brazilian Contract,

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Kevin

Registered
Welcome to the forum. If it was mine I would look for a replacement barrel. Goggle Jack First and Numrich just to name two.
I doubt either of them have barrels appropriate for that revolver. When I last looked it took me almost two years to find one.

Does not mean you shouldn鈥檛 look. Just don鈥檛 be disappointed if you can not locate one immediately.

Good luck, sincerely !

Kevin

Registered
I'm old enough to remember when the Brazilian guns were shunned,,, I could never see the razor blade they used for a front sight anyway,, and the shallow rear groove didn't help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts