Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting an insurance policy for my growing collection of guns. Any suggestions of who to look at? I am talking to Eastern Insurance at the moment.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
NRA offers insurance .

But I use Collectibles Insurance , have for years .

If you never make a claim it's hard to tell one from another .

But when I did research them originally , there was a good amount of positive feedback .

Essentially you are insuring valuables up to a specified $ amount , regardless of what the valuables are .

Price wise I think they are less expensive than most .

And you don't have to submit pictures , serial numbers , or such to them .

Gun, Knives, and Accessories Insurance | Collect Insure

Of course , check your Home Owner's policy first to see what coverage they offer in your
existing policy , if any .

Regards
George - Kane gets a bonus every year that I have no break-ins ! The best insurance that dog treats can buy

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got $$$$$$$? good luck! you'll have to list every gun with the serial numbers. NOT something I would do. My guns are all lost in a horrible boating accident. Terrible, just terrible!
Eastern has a basic plan that doesn't require individual listing or s/n listing. $35K for the collection. At least that is my understanding at this time. $125 a year and they give NRA members a 5% discount.

Still fact finding and looking for folks that have real interaction with the insurers.

·
Registered
16,962 Posts
My home owners has me covered and i have records. Recheck each year and so far replacement value covers all.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
K,

About three years ago, TN Farm Bureau quoted $10.00 cost per $1,000.00 in value, assuming documentation of ownership. At that time, that put me at about four grand per annum. Yowzer!

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K,

About three years ago, TN Farm Bureau quoted $10.00 cost per $1,000.00 in value, assuming documentation of ownership. At that time, that put me at about four grand per annum. Yowzer!

Mike
I hope you didn't sign up for a long term plan. :D

Reactions: mmitch

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
NRA offers insurance .

But I use Collectibles Insurance , have for years .

If you never make a claim it's hard to tell one from another .

But when I did research them originally , there was a good amount of positive feedback .

Essentially you are insuring valuables up to a specified $ amount , regardless of what the valuables are .

Price wise I think they are less expensive than most .

And you don't have to submit pictures , serial numbers , or such to them .

Gun, Knives, and Accessories Insurance | Collect Insure

Of course , check your Home Owner's policy first to see what coverage they offer in your
existing policy , if any .

Regards
George - Kane gets a bonus every year that I have no break-ins ! The best insurance that dog treats can buy
I just compared them to Lockton Affinity (NRA) same coverage, yours is less.... I'm switching when my current policy expires.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
My home owners has me covered and i have records. Recheck each year and so far replacement value covers all.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
That is unusual. Most homeowner policies only cover 2500 bucks loss.

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I signed up for the NRA coverage and also have homeowners which would cover a couple of my guns. Good records and lots of photos.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
I signed up for the NRA coverage and also have homeowners which would cover a couple of my guns. Good records and lots of photos.
My current policy with Lockton Affinity (I have it right here) states that documentation is only required if the value of the firearm is over Three Grand, of which I have 3. The rest are less than and don't require photo and serial number identification with Lockton, just my personal pictures and inventory.

Besides, if Hillary has her way...(tongue in cheek), none will be worth more than 100 bucks when you turn them in.....lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
That is unusual. Most homeowner policies only cover 2500 bucks loss.
I was an adjuster that handled large losses for many years and I unintentionally cheated people who lost guns in fires for years by applying the $2,500 policy limit. The policy limit is for theft but loss due to fires or other named perils are up to the personal property policy limit. Guns destroyed in fires are easy to document because the barrels are in the debris with serial numbers normally readable. I handled a lot of arson claims where the homeowner caused the fire. I never had an arson claim where the owner left good guns in the house. When you investigate a suspicious fire, the first thing you look for is the remains of guns.

·
Registered
19,649 Posts
I'd be mighty careful insurIng firearms. Basic Homeowners covers about $2000.......that's it. Most of the time, it's very hard to collect from an insurance company. You have to provide 'proof' and 'value'of anything that you insure seperately.

In 2011, a Micro-burst took down all of my big trees around the house. They offered me $3000..... I told them to 'stick it"! (That may have been my mistake! Something....beats nothing.all the time!!!!) It cost me $10000....plus days of back-breaking work, to clean it up!!!!! :mad: I don't trust insurance companies, mostly........but I do have insurance annuities that I am collecting in my retirement. It's a lot better than a bank! Just look back to 2008!!!! Bob

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Get a heavy fire proof safe. . Place a heat and smoke detector above its location and a fire supression extinguisher and an alarm system inside the safe. . Skip the insurance You will save money in the long run.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
19,649 Posts
At $125/yr. for 10 years........amounts to $1250 in new guns. Most insurance companies don't like to pay claims, and will do anything to avoid it! They only like to collect $125/yr.! Bob

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Get a heavy fire proof safe. . Place a heat and smoke detector above its location and a fire supression extinguisher and an alarm system inside the safe. . Skip the insurance You will save money in the long run.

Just my thoughts
But that doesn't cover for theft

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Add in a sprinkler system; I have always been surprised why most newer homes (especially nice custom ones) do not have these systems installed

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
Level 4... Big dog with a nasty disposition that sleeps in the room here the guns are..............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts