Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being somewhat new to this addiction, I'm wondering if one of you experts to describe briefly the differences in the various grips. How do I know target grips from Magnas. I think I can tell the "center diamond" grips, now I just need to learn the years different grips were used. Thanks!! Hank in Va.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Target stocks

Magnas

The same style stocks were used on different models, the Magnas were stock on HPs and some Model 27s, generaly speaking, if the revolver came with target sights, trigger and hammer, it came with target stocks. The exception is the Model 19, it came with target stocks, except the 2 1/2" barreled rond butt guns. "Cokes" came on the Model 29 and 44 Magnum early production guns, Modified Magnas came on the Model 58.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The early targets had no cut out, football or otherwise, they could be had smooth (no checkering) and with or without a cutout, also in Rosewood or Goncalo Alves. Then there is PC Magnas, Service stocks as seen on early Hand Ejectors, brass emblem, silver emblem and even a few plastic emblem with even more variations in the insert holding the emblem in place and we are glad there seem to be fewer soup stocks (chicken or beef) and just a few more stocks and bonds. Houge and Pachmyers came on many newer models and Eagle wood stocks are used in some (Heratige series comes to mind). If you added all the stocks from factory S&Ws (including semi-autos), you could fill a book with variations (factory Mother of Pearl was available).

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! I have a pair of the post 80's Target stocks with the "football" cutout. They will almost fit on my '69 Mod 28. The locator pin at the bottom of the frame doesn't quite match the hole in the grip. I thought I'd widen that hole a bit on the stocks and use them on my HP. Would that be a sacrilege? Pix coming, both before and after, with new shoes and a new holster. Thanks for all your help,Hank in Va.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sounds like the Targets you have may be for a K-frame gun rather than the N-Frame Model 28. K frames are smaller and narrower than the N frame guns.

The K frames won't fit the contour of the heel of the gun and have a narrower notch at the top of the grip. They may work with some butchering, but they won't be exactly right.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Iggy. I'll double check. I have a set of "N" frame Ahrends grips coming from Brownells, plus some springs,etc. I don't want to alter grips that may work fine on a Mod 15. Hank in Va.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts