Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I while back I sent a forum member some moonclips and he turned around and sent me set of grips. They were worn or damaged target grips that were reworked into something useable and decent looking. They were just about right except for a small kind of bulge at the toe of the grip which didnt agree with my pinky. I figured they’ve already been sanded on so a hair more wouldnt hurt. I started with 220grit paper and worked my way to 600 grit. I slightly radiused the entire bottom edge and resanded them overall to get below the finish. When done I applied 4 coats of Danish oil with a steel wool rub down between coats. Warmed them with a blow dyer then applied a coat of RenWax. The finish turned out a bit lighter than how they looked to start with. Glad I didnt screw them up.
Before:
5BDC7F8F-E1CF-41DA-A300-A444C00B8591.jpeg

After:

: 5AC75407-8B94-44E1-AE35-3985850A3160.jpeg
On my 15-3
5BA3F3DB-E850-411E-AB22-AC6F2DFF097C.jpeg 7F1FAA9C-A1AF-41FE-8FB5-234A4968EAE1.jpeg

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Job !! It's all about makin em right for you.
You had them darn close to perfect, but I have short fingers. Only took about an eighth of an inch off that small lower section.. Was getting pretty close to the inside cut out for the frame. It got me started. Now I want to find some beat up grips to give a treatment to

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Good Job !! It's all about makin em right for you.
Exactly! S&W provides a block of wood inlet to the revolver frame. It is up to us to remove the excess to fit our hand.

Reply 104 in this thread shows how I shaped a pair of targets to better fit my hand. I did it to several pair for various competition revolvers.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
Hardwood grips may be damaged on the outside, but they have a heart of gold.

Nice job making lemonade out of lemons!

In this world of disposable everything, this is my kind of recycling.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

Well done!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I do like the shape of those, I bet they feel great in the hand... nice job!

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts