Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my S&W 659 pistols (I have two). As far as looks go, I like them even more than my 5906. But the plastic grips are cheap and flimsy, and I'd like to put new grips on at least one. I've looked on eBay and have seen some white, resin grips. The pearl grips are so-so. The white “ivory“ grips look better. My question is, is resin an improvement over what I have or will it be better? I like the looks of the white grips, but don't know if the resin grips will be more robust.

Our I could go with some Uncle Mike's rubber grips.

What do you think?

The Model 659 is a great gun, but the grips are flimsy. Are
resin grips any better or are rubber grips the way to go?

·
Super Moderator
19,460 Posts
The "Resin" grips will probably be slightly stronger than what you already have, simply because they're made from a new and fresher polymer. The one on your pistol are made from a "Resin" as well. It's more than likely a polycarbonate, and quite possibly a Lexan.
The "rubber" grips are also a TPE "resin". It's funny how people throw around terms and descriptions that are used to make one product sound better than another.
If you like rubber grips on your handguns, you'll probably like them on this 659 as well. For me, I have a 669, and I prefer the harder plastic grips. They are thinner than the rubber elastomer grips, but I like the slip of them in my hands over the sticky grip of the rubber shoes.

It's always a personal choice and preference. Grips are really inexpensive, maybe you should buy both, try them out and then make your final decision. You can always resell the grips you don't like.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
My 456 and 559 are wearing Uncle Mike's, which are substantially thinner than other rubber grips. I'm not a fan of smooth grips (plastic or otherwise) simply due to them squirming around in a sweaty hand on summer range outings.

And... if you can somehow still find them (got mine on eBay), S&W sold curved accessory back straps, which are a great addition:

DSC02377 (2).jpg

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I have a slightly used set of Pachmayr's full wrap around grips in factory box, that I will sell you for $35.00 and Ill pay the shipping.

these have the front and back grip panels

·
Registered
23,487 Posts
tombstonegrips.com has a variety of grip options that would fit your M659, various color options available also. Your can even trace your grips to have new ones made to your liking. :) Only problem is you have to wait for them because they are hand made.

Reactions: gunhacker

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I always say whatever make's "you " happy is the right choice for you!:cool:

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
The OEM zytel grips are the most durable grips for their thinness. Woods are nice, but they will add bulk to the grip in order to get durability. It depends on what handles well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you haven't looked at Altamont grips, check out their web-site. Their grips seem reasonable priced and the workmanship is very nice. Just my $.02, good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think Pachmeyer used to make them but I think they no longer do. Hogue does and I like them; they make both wood and rubber. Numrich might be a source for factory or aftermarket grips; never ceases to amaze me what they seem to have...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts