Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these Thai grips a couple years ago. They fit great, have a nice finish and checkering and were only $39. There are howeve2 issues I have with them. They are too orange colored, and way too big for my hands. The panels are about an eighth of an inch thicker plus wider front to back than factory stocks. They are also longer with quite a bit of flare at the bottom. Here they are in my 686
2019-12-02_14-43-30_548.jpg 2018-08-26_15-51-39_845.jpg
I finally decided to do something about the issues I had with these grips. I cut almost an eighth of an inch off the bottom, then a bevel on the front. I reshaped the lower rear with sandpaper then stripped the finish with acetone
2019-12-03_00-54-21_929.jpg
2019-12-03_00-54-06_817.jpg
More in next post

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sanded everything I could without messing up checkering and got them nice and smooth went up to 600 grit. This wood is hard. I applied a coat of MinWax Special Walnut stain. It's pretty dark. It wasn't quite what I was looking for so I used Red Oak stain for coat 2, then buffed with steel wool and applied polyurethane. Not thrilled with the poly and may strip it off and go Danish Oil, but here is what I got. They fit my hands pretty good now
2019-12-03_19-08-41_403.jpg
Red outline is original profile
2019-12-03_19-10-05_199.jpg .
2019-12-03_19-12-06_993.jpg 2019-12-03_19-07-11_929.jpg

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking for color something like many of the vintage factory stocks have and think I achieved that. They still feel a bit far but it doesn't effect my grip of trigger finger position. Being fatter should allow the recoil to be spread over a larger area

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Great Job! The look good and if they provide a better grip that's even better.:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I love the look of factory targets on K and N frame revolvers, but they have never fit my hand all that well either. The flare at the bottom is probably one of the nicest features (when It comes to looks alone), but that same flare makes it hard to get a nice even firm grip. Which is why I prefer magnas with a grip adaptor of some sort.

Looks like you addressed that problem right off the bat. That's got to feel so much better in the hand. I couldn't bring myself to do such a thing to a factory grip, but an aftermarket like those? I say sand away! Nice work.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I like the new color. I dont know what that wood is they use on the thai grips. I have two sets for Rugers and they are both that weird orange. Hard as hell though.
Did you take a brush or anything to the checkering to remove the poly or just an acetone bath?
Alex

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the new color. I dont know what that wood is they use on the thai grips. I have two sets for Rugers and they are both that weird orange. Hard as hell though.
Did you take a brush or anything to the checkering to remove the poly or just an acetone bath?
Alex
Acetone and an old toothbrush. It came off pretty easy. The wood smells like that Luan plywood used for underlayment, when you cut or sand it

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You have discovered the secret! The great thing about S&W target stocks and copies of, is there is plenty of wood available to create a shape that is comfortable in your hand. When I was competition in PPC, I did the same thing to several target stocks.

The target stocks are, upside down in my hand. Fat at the bottom where my hand is smallest and narrow at the top where my hand is largest. The stock shape I ended up with simulated magnas with a grip adapter. It worked for me.

You did a good job. Enjoy them. If they don’t quite fit, use your rasp again.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Very nice. If you decide that you don't like the polyurethane you might want to try some boiled linseed oil. it's the finish put on the M1 Garands, and it has great wear and moisture resistance. It also has good gripping too.

I really like the trim work you did on those large stocks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The wood smells like that Luan plywood used for underlayment, when you cut or sand it
Probably some type of Mahogany.
+1 on the boiled linseed oil too. I've also had good results with Birchwood Casey gun stock oil.
I like how you trimmed down the front edge of those stocks. Found a smooth set of N frame targets with a similar treatment at a local antique mall. Bought them for $12 because I figured that I had nothing to loose but found that they actually fit me better than unaltered targets. The lower side of the right panel has been sanded down as well.
My Model 57 now wears them exclusively.
photo.JPG

I myself would not have done it to an original set of S&W stocks! :eek:

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts