Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of revolvers that have the same serial numbers of the gun on the inside of the right side grip. Some pencil some stamped. When did this process stop was it when S&W went to model numbers. I have several model numbers no dash guns and none have the numbers inside of the grips.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I believe it was in the 1980s when the machining of the frames got good enough that grips did not have to be fitted for each gun. Prior to that the grips were fitted to each gun and were numbered by either penciled or stamped serial number so that the right grips were matched to the proper gun at final assembly after finishing of the grips. This did usually did not happen with Target grips.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
I have an M10 and an M64, both made in 1981. They both have the serial number stamped inside the right grip. Both have Magna stocks. As JMG11 said, the target stocks were not serial numbered. I believe the serial number of my 1955 Highway patrolman is written in pencil

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Late 70s is when the numbering of stocks was discontinued but like anything S&W there's rarely a distinct date or number. Exceptions are often found.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense some of the guns that I have with Magna grips are numbered and all the guns with Target grips none have numbers. What is your oldest numbered gun and newest?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Jimg11 is partly right with his date and time period . However there were a few grip maker at Smith Wesson the did make and hand fit grips up until the mid 1990's these were mostly done on special : boxed or cased " N and k frames and a few J frames. By the mid 1990's most of these grip makers had retired form Smith Wesson and wood working machinery became good enough that hand fitting was no longer needed .

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
As a rule of thumb ("never say 'never' with anything S&W or matters of the heart''; Sir Iggy, Life and Living Professor Emiratis)
The serial number on the right side stock went away with the 'S' serial prefix and the start of the 'N' prefix on the Highway Patrolman line.
An amendment to the above, it's not that S&W broke their own rules on sequence and model numbering but they did it with such enthusiasm.

Reactions: jimg11

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I know the 1981 model 520 has numbered grips. My oldest S&W with matching numbered grips is my Heavy Duty from 1931. DSCN0780.JPG The model 520 has eagle grips on and the originals are in the safe. A while after this photo I put the originals back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts