Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what checkering tools I would need to enhance some of the worn Magna grips I have. I just want to go over some of the worn checkering and re-cut it to make it sharper.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have a Dembart Hand tool with 2 or 3 cutters. Call Brownells and ask one of the techs. Can't remember what cutter I used. It is painstaking.

When the stocks (grips) are worn realize that it is like peaks and valleys. When worn the peaks are gone (wood loss) so even cutting the valleys the peaks on the worn spot will not be the same

You also need to strip the old finish and apply a new finish. I have refinished several sets of grips, they are better but still not like new. To have someone do it is (to me) not worth the price for two pieces of wood.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/hand-checkering-tools/checkering-cutters/s-1-checkering-tool-prod26279.aspx?msclkid=be3f60a38d86183937c53d0ffb9010bd

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try Brownells. I've refinished stocks before, I usually use American Walnut stain where needed and I prefer several coats of light tongue oil over varnish or lacquer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts