Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, but connected with a couple of others.

This site was specifically recommended because I own a couple of S&W's and they thought this was better suited to my needs with the revolvers I have.

I am returning to being a firearms owner. I haven't owned any since 1978.
Elk is much less expensive on the table if I hunt it and have it processed for me than to buy it at the butcher shop.
My wife and I are very active hikers in the mountains up here and we both need to carry sidearms for protection.
I currently have a K-14 Masterpiece 38, in very good condition. It is an absolute gem and I will probably end up giving it to my daughter in my will, otherwise I might just be buried with it.
I also have a Model 19-3 2-1/2" shorty I'm looking to trade for a double action .357 in the 4-6" length.
Everybody says the shorty looks great and is in very good condition and has very good value to it. It has some of the bluing on the forward end of the barrel that has turned brown from the tan colored holster it has been stored in for the past 20-30 years. There is absolutly no rusting on it and the cylinder is tight. If I get the chance I will post pics of them in the next day or so.
I own a XD45 ACP, a .32 Baretta and a couple of Savage bolt action rifles for hunting up here. One of them is an old 30-30 Model 325 that I just had reblued (It was really rough so no loss by refinishing it) it will be my deer rifle. I needed a good brush gun, not a museum piece. The .45 is for protection from the Bears and Cougars when we hiking or hunting up in the mountains.
Still looking for a couple more rifles and a 12 guage but for the most part I have the handguns nearly covered. Looking for a .40 s/w semi too.
Every once in a while I will come up with a question and your answers should pretty much cover what I'm looking for.
I'm really looking forward to this forum. I hope I can learn from your experiences, knowledge and opinions.
Gearchecker - Northern Panhandle, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hi gearchecker,

A warm welcome to the forum. welcome01

Visit and post often. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I assume you did not grow up in north Idaho since I see you feel a 45 acp is adequate protection from bears.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
welcome aboard... enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a .45 ACP with 180 gr PP rounds isn't adequate sidearm protection - what is? I seriously considered a .454 Casull Kodiak, but my wife could barely pick it up off hte sales counter

Reactions: Charlie686

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I would suggest you buy a 44 or41 magnum or buy a ruger in 357 magnum and go to the black sheep and ask Bill in the guns and ammo section about what ammo to use.He can set you up with some 170 grain 357 that will penatrate well and bust bones.Packing a 454 cassull is like you say pretty much a chore on its own.
But a 45 acp is a man stopper and a very good one.If you want to use a 45 get a ruger in 45 long colt and load it for a ruger only load.Your 45 acp is not enough for black bears let alone a griz.
They just shot a griz in Rose lake that attacked a bull elk and ripped his horns off and killed him then turned and killed two cow elk at a elk farm just off I -90. I dont know where you are hunting and hiking but your not that far from sandpoint and bonnersferry and they have a very healthy population of griz bears there. I saw three in three days up in cow creek a few years ago and they were down running around by the dirt roads like park bears.
there population has increased since that time. Do not buy into the Bull you hear about bear attacks being rare. It is completely untrue and only based on reported attacks where some one dumb enough to run around unarmed for them get mauled and or killed.
They happen very often and people who are around them a lot like you are going to be if your up in there home will discover most of the time yelling at them or firing a warning shot will send them packing. But I can assure you if you spend enough time in the woods you will come across the ones that will not run and ones that will will stalk you and I am talking about black bears.
Most if you wound them will run off or head up a tree. But some will become enraged and keep comming right at you and the only way to stop them is to kill them.
My uncle shot a black bear one time from about 30 yards with a 264.Many people tried to tell him it was a pea shooter and no good for elk and bear but he wouldnt listen until he emptied it into a black bear that almost got him and a fellow hunter took him out with a 30-06.
He was from florida and relied on reloading manuals to judge what caliber he needed and how heavy to load it up. He sold the 264 and bought a 30-06.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Warm and fuzzy welcome01

You came to the right place.

·
Registered
723 Posts
welcome01 from San Antonio!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.