Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New user here, and if it's ok, I'd like to jump right in...

Back about '06 (and I'll say right up front, this was a pawn shop buy when I was looking to get a ccw permit, and I got it for 200 bucks), I purchased a S&W Model 659. It's been a reliable weapon and all I've ever really needed to have done to it was to have the feed ramp on the back of the barrel polished to remove some nicks.

Recently, I have been looking to possibly have a mod or two done to it, such as putting a compensator on the front, and possibly a barrel change, since total time/rounds prior to purchase is unknown to me, or a newer rear sight that's compatible with the slide. During my searches on the internet for parts, I have found that there are some real headaches associated with this model when it comes to things like replacement parts and correctly identifying the thing. That frustration led me here.

I have borrowed pics from another thread https://www.smithandwessonforums.co...stols-forum/49795-659-interim-model-help.html to help illustrate my ID issues.

Let me start with serial and stamping on the frame, since that may give some insight: Serial is TAV xxxx, underneath is stamped Model 659. Also, I have seen some pics showing the barrel stamping at the ejector port that simply says '9 MM'...mine has that, but also has 'Parabellum' stamped directly underneath. Don't know if that matters at all for ID purposes.

Now, let me attach these two pics. I have the slide of the first pic, including the long dovetail cut for the rear sight, the ~1 inch long integral front sight, the barrel bushing up front, and the red dot on the slide hidden behind the ambidextrous safety. But, I do not have the frame shown in the first pic, it does not have the gently sloping area of the top front of the trigger guard as shown in pic 1, but rather, the sharp 90 degree cut with the 'T' stamped there, as shown in pic 2.

image1.jpeg

Screenshot_20160415-211833_2.png

This leads to a question or two....Do I have one of the 'interim' models suggested in the thread I linked above, or do I have some bastardized gun, such as the slide not being on the original frame? S&W is no damned help at all, I cannot find any reference to a model 659 on their website, and many of the google searches I'm performing often return results referencing S&W's MP offerings (don't ask me why)....because of this, I can't seem to find reliable parts information such as a replacement barrel. I'm also unable to locate anything that allows me to research this by serial number.

I'm hoping you folks can help me properly identify this weapon (gen 2? 2.5? 3?) and advise me on where I might find some decent parts sourcing, because googling 'S&W 659 ANYTHING' is getting me nowhere. Should I be doing searches using the interim model number (ex., 6590), as suggested also in the thread I'm referencing?

Kind thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide....Magishan

EDIT: I'd also be very interested to know if you all know of any rubber finger groove type of grips that might be made for this model, I tried looking at Pachmayr, but didn't see much except the two piece wood style stuff. It's like this entire model just fell into a black hole as far as replacement parts and accessories is concerned.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello and welcome. A picture of your actual gun would help answer your questions. The reason your gun does not appear on the S&W website is that the 659s have been out of production for about 30 years. Consulting the SCSW 4th. Ed., it appears that your 659 was produced about 1987. If it was marked 6590,6591 or 6592, it is reportedly a transitional gun per SCSW. There were minor variations in trigger guards back in those years. Yours would generally be known as the "square" trigger guard. The 9mm parabellum mark on the chamber and adjustable rear sight shown are proper for a 659. I have seen guns with the "T" on the trigger guard but I don't know it's significance. I don't think S&W supports these pistols anymore with parts, but don't know about service, repairs,etc. I tend to doubt it. Pachmayr used to make grips for the 659 that were effectively wrap around as they included separate rubber panel/s, IIRC, to cover the front and rear grip straps. As with the parts situation, you might check Ebay, Numrich, enthusiast sites,etc. for rubber grips. As to a compensator, I'm not aware of a longer barrel that would allow threading for a proper compensator. BarSto used to make barrels for metal framed S&W pistols, but don't think they still do. You might check with them or other aftermarket barrel manufacturers.....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's three pics of the actual pistol. Hard to tell from the pics, but it's a stainless slide. (need to read a book on metalworking to find out how to properly polish it up)...

IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

From the other pics I've seen, just seems like my pistol has some of the characteristics of a 5906, and the SCSW states that some of them had the 'Model 659' stamp... I freely admit I might have that wrong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
So, your 659 would have been made toward the end of 2nd generation S&W pistol production and the start of 3rd generation (they have four digit model numbers). It's likely just prior to the transitional period. There have been various profile changes to things like the trigger guard over the life of a model. The various models were designed in families, with the generations defined more by internal action design than their external appearance (which is not always consistent within models).

Parabellum is just another way to identify 9mm Luger cartridges. It's the original name for the 9mm Luger (and based on the cable address for DWM, the company that made the Luger in Berlin).

These pistols have been out of production for a long time, and many of the parts are becoming unavailable (with either used or new old stock being the only sources). Is your barrel particularly worn or inaccurate or damaged? Properly cleaned and cared for, the barrel should last thousands of rounds. The external condition at the time you purchased it must have been good, so it's likely that the round count was low in any case.

The advice, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Just save your money, and buy a newer pistol that meets your specific needs. Don't trade this - you'll likely be cheated by any dealer in the transaction.

Reactions: Magishan

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, your 659 would have been made toward the end of 2nd generation S&W pistol production and the start of 3rd generation (they have four digit model numbers). It's likely just prior to the transitional period. There have been various profile changes to things like the trigger guard over the life of a model. The various models were designed in families, with the generations defined more by internal action design than their external appearance (which is not always consistent within models).

Parabellum is just another way to identify 9mm Luger cartridges. It's the original name for the 9mm Luger (and based on the cable address for DWM, the company that made the Luger in Berlin).

These pistols have been out of production for a long time, and many of the parts are becoming unavailable (with either used or new old stock being the only sources). Is your barrel particularly worn or inaccurate or damaged? Properly cleaned and cared for, the barrel should last thousands of rounds. The external condition at the time you purchased it must have been good, so it's likely that the round count was low in any case.

The advice, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Just save your money, and buy a newer pistol that meets your specific needs. Don't trade this - you'll likely be cheated by any dealer in the transaction.
Appreciate the input. I've no intention of parting with this. I simply want to give it some tlc, such as polishing up some of the heavier scratches correctly....

Let me ask you this. Would it be feasible to search parts using 5906 as the parameter? I seem to be having more luck with that, but I'd sort of like someone to confirm for me that parts for a 5906 would work in this 659. This is more about knowing where to look should I have to, rather than to address an immediate need.

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
The 659 and the 5906 are very different externally and internally. Most of the parts are interchancable, but many are not. You want to search for parts on the pistols marked 659 or 659X.
It is actually closer in design to the model 669 than the 5906.
Somewhere in my spare stuff collections I may have a pachmeyer finger groove grips that should fit your pistol. Give me some time and I'll see if I can find them. If I do have a set I'll let you know, and we can proceed from there.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 659 and the 5906 are very different externally and internally. Most of the parts are interchancable, but many are not. You want to search for parts on the pistols marked 659 or 659X.
It is actually closer in design to the model 669 than the 5906.
Somewhere in my spare stuff collections I may have a pachmeyer finger groove grips that should fit your pistol. Give me some time and I'll see if I can find them. If I do have a set I'll let you know, and we can proceed from there.
I'd be much obliged for any assistance!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Millett used to make a nice target sight for that cut but it won't be easy to find these days.
Yanno, that does look nice. Don't suppose you know anything about model/type, and such? Something to stick in search engine?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Magishan, you don't really need a book on metal working to TLC your pistol. If you can detail strip the pistol, a fine bead blast, using something similar to Brownells 270+ glass bead media, will make the pistol look like new. A brush finish on the flats, if desired, is not hard to accomplish either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts