Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just acquired my first revolver! It’s a old 3” model 36 with a hammer pin. Not exactly sure on the year but am looking forward to learning about this awesome gun/platform. I was gifted this gun on my birthday yesterday. It doesn’t work, according to the previous owner it cycles through all the cylinders and seems on time but every hit is light and fails to ignite any primers. Took it apart and seems to be fixed but that’s for another thread. Glad to be a j frame owner and look forward to learning about them. Cheers!

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Hi and welcome to the friendly forum! Happy belated birthday and what a nice gift to receive. Someone should be along shortly to assist with answering your questions. :)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
19,943 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey R,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of a finely weathered "J" on your first post!

Get you a case of Federal American and off to the RANGE! LOL!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Hi rustyNdusty'

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
greetings mate, looks "Nickel" to me …? Wonder if some "Flitz" or "Solvol" will dress her up a touch mate? on the other hand their is a saying about a girl...But i'm not going there :)

thewelshm

·
Premium Member
12,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Happy Birthday!

Was this a blued revolver, or plated? It almost looks like someone took Brillo to it...

Well, the surface finish is only a few thousandths thick at most... be happy! Most of your revolver's steel is still there...

What did you do to fix your light hammer strikes? You may be able to insert a chop stick down the barrel after it is cocked and the cylinder has rotated to a cylinder, then release the sear / hammer. See how far the stick shoots out of the barrel. If it's still anemic, it could be the hammer spring... Otherwise, lubrication or dirt related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum. Happy Birthday!

Was this a blued revolver, or plated? It almost looks like someone took Brillo to it...

Well, the surface finish is only a few thousandths thick at most... be happy! Most of your revolver's steel is still there...

What did you do to fix your light hammer strikes? You may be able to insert a chop stick down the barrel after it is cocked and the cylinder has rotated to a cylinder, then release the sear / hammer. See how far the stick shoots out of the barrel. If it's still anemic, it could be the hammer spring... Otherwise, lubrication or dirt related.

I really can’t tell what color it used to be.there was lifts pitting on parts of it and within those pits it looks black so maybe it was originally black? Someone before me used something way too abrasive. Looks like it was a bench grinder lol.

As for the light strikes I shouldn’t speak too soon cause I haven’t tested it yet, but after removing the innards I found the main coil spring was not installed in the right spot. Instead of mounting to the little pin in the back of the hammer it was just sitting in the middle groove of the hammer, effectively making the hammer spring much weaker as it wasn’t loading the spring completely. Did a complete tear down and clean/polish then I put the spring fork back on the pin where it belongs. Pulled the hammer back and I instantly knew that was the problem as it was 10 times stiffer. Went from a 2pb trigger to a 13lb or so pull haha. I am extremely confident this baby is gonna pop rounds now!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts