Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Hey Shoe,

Welcome to S&W.

One of the resident experts will be along....to advise on that fine Long Action 5 screw..

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Model of 1905 4th change. Made before the mid 1920's based on the ejector knob. Original grips would be Prewar K frame service grips. I'd guess without medallions

There's a set on ebay now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. All that from the mushroom huh. I was told it was his law enforcement pistol. I love it

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I agree with delcrossv. Your .38 M&P, Model of 1905, 4th Change was likely made in 1923 or 24. And, there should be a "Made in USA" stamp on the lower right side frame which was implemented in 1922. The mushroom extractor knob was replaced in 1928 with a barrel-shaped knob. So, we can safely say your gun was made in the middle 1920's. The plain, round top grips shown above are correct for a square butt M&P from that era. The faux stag grips on it are made by Jay Scott. These were popular in the 1950-60's. You can shoot all full pressure ammo in it, including +P. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Well I did a look up on ship dates and saw that .38 M&P with serial number 353xxx shipped in Oct. 1921. S&W implemented the Made In USA stamp in May 1922. So, I guess your gun was made between those dates.

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I did a look up on ship dates and saw that .38 M&P with serial number 353xxx shipped in Oct. 1921. S&W implemented the Made In USA stamp in May 1922. So, I guess your gun was made between those dates.
Awesome the older the better. I appreciate your time

·
Super Moderator
36,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The best firearms are the ones passed in the family from generation to generation!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts