Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great day!

I took the CCW class today and got my certificate for CPL. We had a 12 hour course, sanctioned by NRA. Our instructor was great she was not an NRA instructor, she was the instructor's instructor, for a lot of LE and FED tactical teams.

She was a gun advocate extraordinaire (to say the least!), and made the class a lot of fun. We spent about 4 hours shooting in a lot of different range exercizes. The shooting was a lot of fun today and the class made defensive shooting practical and comfortable. I really learned a lot.

BTW, my new M&P 40c worked great! it shoots very smooth w/little recoil. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TNDixie and Guys,

The one thing I learned in class that I think is very valuable, other than the shooting, is the legality of carry/protection aspects.

One that really helped me make the right mind-set in relation to the responsibility of carrying a weapon. We all want to protect our selves and loved ones in a case we are threatened or attached, but there are cases where we may be a bystander, feel we need to intervene and help someone.

If you are in a situation where someone other than 1st person (self), 2nd person (family of or accompanied friend), but 3rd person(s) is/are in jeopordy, such as the shooting at the civic center recently.

I asked the instructor if the shooting started in a lobby and I was in restroom, am I legal to come out and take the guy out. She said that the law in Michigan states you have to be witness to the incident from start to finish to legally take out the shooter. Of course this is a gray area in some cases. This law is to ensure that the legal gun carrier does not come into a situation after the start, thinking he/she knows what is happening and shoot the wrong person.

Of course in the civic center incident, one could defend your actions to take the guy out and you would be a hero. If I had come out of restroom and the guy was threatening a receptionist and there are 2 people laying dead on ground after hearing all the comotion, I would take him out. I could argue that his threatening the receptionist was the start of a new incident.

Of course there can be cascading incidents that would restart the start of the incident if it escalates and you are witness to the extension of the action beginning.

So in Michigan, you must be witness to the incident from start to finish to legally use firearms force in a 3rd person incident.

I think this is very valuable to run through my head so it is instinctive to my nature rather than having to think about it at the time of something happening.

Just my CCW novice thoughts on the responsibility of CCW.

(These statements are my own and are not to be taken as aboslute law.)

BTW, I go this week to apply for the CPL. They say it takes up to 2 months to get.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Great Day! Took Class, Got Certificate! UPDATE

Hi Gang,

I finally got my CPL in mail yesterday! LOOK OUT! LOL.

Seriously, I now have a whole new responsibility.

I was pretty suprized to get it so soon (relatively soon), they told me at the County that it would be 4-6 months. It took less than 2, so that was cool.

I want to keep my 686 in truck, but find it could be cumbersome since it is a 6"er. I had a real nice "secret spot" in my old truck (not that I ever carried it in there w/o CPL!) and it fit OK, but in the Avalanche I haven't found a comperable sized spot for the 6".

I figure to carry my M&P 40c on person. I may be in the market soon for a shorter bbl truck piece. All my revolvers are 6" or longer so I really don't have a truck gun other than the 686. All my revlolvers are in much better shape than "kick around" condition.

Any suggestions on what you guys think is a good truck gun that has punch power, min .357. All my 44s are 6" or longer. I know a lot of you real enthusiests like 3"ers, but I don't see many around. I would go for a 4"er and think that would be OK. Any good ways to securely have one in truck that you guys like?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re: Great Day! Took Class, Got Certificate! UPDATE

WGlide90 said:
Any good ways to securely have one in truck that you guys like?
Dave
A forty something on the hip is preferred. If you must leave it behind, I store mine locked in the center console.

When I'm about is a 44 revolver or 45 acp pistol. The 44 mag has to be carried in a outside the pants holster so this will be winter time store errands. The 45 fits nicely IWB carry.

All of these I carried at one time or another:

My ole 696 44 special

629-4 44 mag (winter carry / no holster pic)

Ed Brown 45acp Bianchi pro holster

or this Ed Brown in a Bianchi shoulder holster (no Holster pic)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ya, I'll be carrying the 40c For now, but want to have a revolver in the truck. I was going to put the 686 in it, now I figure I need a shorter bbl 357. But then while talking to my buddy I think if I'm going to look for 3" 44 mag. like yours.

I sure would like to find a 3" Classic Hunter to keep it in theme with big brother 6" CH. I think they made a few of them.

Onenut, Are you sure that a one day class is enough to get a permit to be with your "ole lady"?
:lol:
But if Nevada is OK with it I am too! BTW I only had one day class too!

Hunter. thanks. One other big thing having the CPL, I don't need to get Purch permit to by a handgun anymore!!!

Anyone know about any ways to securely attach, mount holster, case or whatever to truck console, seat or dash?
Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just place it in the console, you don't need a holster for the car. Sometimes I just stuff it in the seat and lock the door, things like that as long as it's out of view and the car door is locked.

I have seen somewhere a company that sells holsters that mount on car floors and other weird hanging places, try google to see what pops up.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Congrats! And tell me what the "CPL" is an acronym for, please. Is it "concealed permit license"? That's just a guess but if it is it would seem kinda' redundant. I guess all the states have to have their own little name for carrying. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
500 thanks. I think a consol panel will let me put it in there w/o having it in the normal consol compartment. Similar to old truck spot.

Charlie thank you as well,

In Mich the CPL (Concealed Pistol License) replaced the old CCW.

The CCW was very hard to get. They can't turn you down for CPL as long as you meet the requirements. So most law abiding citizans can get one, but there are limitations on where you can carry it. The restrictions are reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
500 Magnum Nut said:
I just place it in the console, you don't need a holster for the car. Sometimes I just stuff it in the seat and lock the door, things like that as long as it's out of view and the car door is locked.

I have seen somewhere a company that sells holsters that mount on car floors and other weird hanging places, try google to see what pops up.
I have a permit, and carry on me, but I always liked the idea of the gun in the console. Depending on what I have been shooting lately it varies as to what is kept in my car, but currently it is my S & W model 13 with a 3" barrel. My everyday carry firearm is my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum 3".

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Wendy,

I'll be carrying the M&P 40c and want to stash the 686 in truck console for now. I do need to get a shorter bbl tho for the truck. I'll either get a 3" or 4" 686 or 629.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
WGlide90 said:
Thanks Wendy,

I'll be carrying the M&P 40c and want to stash the 686 in truck console for now. I do need to get a shorter bbl tho for the truck. I'll either get a 3" or 4" 686 or 629.

Thanks for your input.

Dave
You are very welcome. I have carried a bit of everything in my console. S & W model 13, model 60-10(also 3"), model 10 and 15, both 4" barrels, and my new Colt PPS 4". A lot of times it really is what I just finished shooting and I just clean it up and pop it in the console. My Ruger SP101 is mostly in the purse, so it isn't as easy to get to while the console all I have to do is raise the top and grab.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts