Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I agree with the folks who recommend not firing that old smoke pole...not worth the risk, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would love to see some pics of that neat old wall hanger.. be safe my friends and God bless. Dick

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Just to update - have finally got some Ed's Red into the barrel. Took me a while to get to mixing it, and to putting it into something I know will contain it! It'll be a week or more before I run some copper mesh on stick through it, see what scrubs out. Went to Track of the Wolf, and stumbled on some .59 balls designed for 20-gauge (.612) rifles (and this is def a smoothbore)... wondering if most of my problem wasn't the somewhat larger .60 ball I was using. They would not begin to seat with a thin patch, so... after the Ed's Red and some scrubbing, will have a smith run a borescope down it. Then will see what's what.

I will also post some pix - but be forewarned, it is a working man's gun, nothing glitzy, no brass even. All fittings are steel. But I think it went to war out of Ohio in the 1860's so I truly wonder what stories it has to tell. Believe it's original owner was buried in Plano, not far from our home at the time, in a farm's cemetery (having around 30 graves, but many stones were unreadable) in the middle of what's now a clump of trees. We placed a plaque on Preston Leach's grave and gave the fencing a fresh coat of paint. They were about to build a housing development right next to the cemetery, and given this political climate, I wonder how it has fared. Given how red Collin County is, I'd suspect not bad, absent vandalism. My understanding was the builder intended to leave it intact, and not try to move the graves. Good for him.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Time is required. Give the Ed's red time to work. I had a 218 bed case stuck in my model 43 for about a month. I kept itsumerged in penetrating oil. It finally came out with a slight tap on a cleaning rod. You have much greater challenge with the front loader. Good luck going for sucess. IN PA when family plots are encountered during the sub division process they are protected and an access easement is provided for descendents to visit and maintain the site. Ohio should've similar

21 - 25 of 25 Posts