Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited some of my grandpa's old pistols. All S&W and i was curious as to how
old they could be and possible value. I'd never sell them, for sentimental purposes.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have 3 butt shots of 2 different guns then 2 right side barrel shots of the same gun I believe. Post pictures showing all of the gun, left and right sides, along with the serial number of each so we can tell which is which

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I agree with Jonesy that we need additional and better pictures. However, I was able to discern a couple of things from the pictures you posted. I believe you have 2 .38 Military & Police revolvers. The older .38 Special one with the 265579 serial, half-moon front sight and mushroom shaped extractor rod knob is from around 1915-16. The second one appears to be a .38 British Service Revolver from WWII. I can see the barrel has been shortened from the original 5" and a ramp-style front sight installed. It likely says .38 S&W CTG on what is left of the barrel. On the butt next to the serial is the hole for a lanyard ring, WB (initials for Waldemar Broberg, the ordnance inspector) and a flaming bomb ordnance acceptance stamp. This gun was likely made in early 1942 before the Army went to V prefix serial numbers. That's about the best we can do without more pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts