Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my grandfather’s service revolver. Would like to find out when it was manufactured.
This is what I know about it. 38 S. & W. Special CTG on barrel. Frame S&W logo and Made in USA, 4 Screws with hand loader.
Grip is diamond with ser # S 939400.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
It's a "transitional" M&P from the late 40's- 1947-'48. In excellent condition from the photos. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
18,616 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Very nice 38 M&P! It shipped before April 1948 when S&W went to the 4 line "Marcus Registrada" stamp. It is a 5 screw when you count the one under the right grip panel.;)

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Looks like a fine heirloom from Grandfather!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Your Gramps took very good care of his weapon, it’s in great shape. If you’ve never shot one of these revolvers, you should. You’ll probably be pleasantly surprised at how good it shoots and how much enjoyment it brings you.

Reactions: Bumpus and Curt360

·
Registered
22,128 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice classic you have there, something to enjoy and pass down. Congratulations.:cool:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum from West Tennessee. The others have given you some great information about your grandfather’s revolver. I can give you information on what is is worth. PRICELESS. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice piece. I have it’s brother from 1947.

... and, yep - it’s a 5 screw, one line. Del and Wiregrass gave you some good info on these.

These are sometimes referred to as pre-Model 10’s (because S&W renamed these “Model 10” in 1957)

Check to see if yours is also matching numbers. Serial # should be in 5 spots (butt, cylinder, under barrel, crane, and inside grip panel)

Yours looks great! Enjoy it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts