Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Remarkable. Your piece dates to the 1947-48 shift marking the end of WWII and the transition from the Model 1905 Change 4 and the "Pre-Model 10" that followed it. Yours is the first S series I have seen with the Speed Hammer that was popular in the early 1950's. At a glance I'd have called your gun a C series piece. The second million M&P's had V, SV and S prefixes. The third million wore C's.

$500?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir, I would never sell it but was curious for insurance value. I still shoot it occasionally and it shoots great. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
17,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is a great old gun with a lot of history and memories. Glad she shoots well as I would expect.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's a.38 6 in. Barrel. serial # S 992xxx
Great-looking gun.

That's a 5" barrel, by the way.

The switch to the short action hammer occurred just about S 990,000, in spring 1948 a few months before the start of the C prefix. So there were only around 10,000 of these with an S prefix, not very many comparatively speaking.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Nice to see an M&P of that era in such nice condition. The proper way to detrmine barrel length is to measure from the muzzle to the face of the cylinder.

Enjoy it, treasure it and shoot it.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sweet revolver. One to hang onto and pass down. Any history of the gun with your grandfather?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how he obtained it, but I know when he was a cotton farmer in Fresno, CA back in the 40s and 50s he wore it with a gun belt that held a bunch of extra rounds. (I inherited the holster but not the gun belt). My grandmother still out shot me when she was in her 80s and passed it along to me.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice gun with lots of family history, a treasure for sure. Don’t let the $500 value fool you. Your gun is a high quality hand fitted piece that is better made than most all new guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts