Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and looking for some help. My grandfather passed away at 97, and his Model 60 with serial number #516280 was passed down to me. My dad didn't know when my grandfather purchased it but knew he was the original owner and carried it in his front pocket as his everyday carry pistol for over 40 years. Any help figuring out when the gun was born would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,828 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! And, my condolences on your loss. We don't have a precise breakdown of manufacture dates for your Chiefs Special Stainless (MOD 60). However, it was made in the mid-1960's.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Greetings mate, continue your use of your grandfather's tool.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
36,102 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. When I carry my model 60 or my model 36 I drop it in my front pocket as well. Been doing that for many years, works well for me. I do have some J frame holsters but almost never use them.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The serial number suggests between 1962 and 1969.

I still often carry a Model 60 as an EDC.
This or
Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

This one
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome aboard from east Missouri! A picture would be helpful, and perhaps the first three numbers of the serial number. This would help with dating your M60. Let’s see what you have!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
OP, you can contact S&W directly, they can give you a letter on the history of that serial number. I think that's about $100.00 or so though to have done.

I'd like it done on all my 'Smiths but I'd be upwards of a grand easily.

**Since concealed carry has only been legal since about 1991 or so.....unless your grandfather lived in Vermont he was a real American!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts