Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last trip of the Summer.. I think. Floated 10 miles of the Wallowa River (put-in at Minam) downstream to the junction with the Grande Ronde. From there 30 miles or so of Wild and Scenic designation to the town of Troy. No road or trail access in this section, just the river. This is normally only used as a whitewater float by rafts in the Spring melt. Water levels then are 2 -6K CFS. We floated in canoes at 635 CFS.. so some bottom scraping. Not a single person seen or heard, not another human footprint seen. Perfect!
I brought a trout rod and #4 test with spinnners. Which was kind of ridiculous. I didn't count on a lot of steelhead.. Caught this (wild) fish on my 3rd cast of the trip:

Lots of rainbows caught. Average fish about 13", biggest about 17". Caught only a single bull trout (but a biggie at 23"), a single bass, a few whitefish, and a few squaw. Steelhead everywhere.. unreal. I've never had fishing like this.
Cap'n Jack surveys the canyon:

Boating was a bit more technical than I had expected.. took some water on through the steepest sections. Already sold the boat I took.. looking for something designed more for river running (I have another trip or 2 planned!):

But it was WAY worth it. My buddy Troy with a morning stringer:

This is extremely wild country. Saw bear sign everywhere, elk in the river cooling themselves, eagles and osprey every day, and a few surprises: mountain goats on the cliffs! Didn't see a single deer (?) or any of these:

Anyone want to go with next Summer? I'm definitely going back.
Dan

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
A day in Paradise!! I would also take you up on that if I lived closer.

G

·
0 Posts
Dang it Dan, as an Oregonian you should be getting people not to come here, not invite them. ;)

Looks like a spectacular time though. Trout for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Tells about some of the ways it was cooked.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dang Dan.... Looks like a fine trip! Wishin' I'd been there! :cool:

I'm having Steel Head for dinner tonight myself..... but it's Product of Chile~ :roll:

Drew

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'Dang it Dan, as an Oregonian you should be getting people not to come here, not invite them. '

Greg,
Ha! I hear ya. Well.. if rattlesnakes, bears, mountain lions, and perhaps wolves don't keep them away then they just may be my kind of folks!

Drew,
We ate it a lot of ways. Brought sweet onions and garlic as well as a lot of spices and rubs. Favorite was marinated in tequila (the fish.. well, and me I guess) then sauteed with the onions and garlic and fresh lime juice.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
My wish is for a bigger screen to enjoy all the natural beauty. Scrolling up and down, and side to side.......sux!!! tnbtlaa Bob

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob,
Sorry about that.. I spend very little time on the computer, need to figure out a few simple things like making pics smaller.

Dan

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am truly envious! Color me green.
f.t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts