Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,543 Posts
WOW, I've been looking at these for years, but they're always out of my price range. It's a great find, and you should enjoy it for a long time to come.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It was out of my price range too but once I held it in my hands and realized that it was all original I was hooked.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I stumbled across this the other day and just had to bring it home. The elegance of these pistols has always put a big goofy smile on my face and the quality has always left me in awe. I'm guessing that it shipped around 1917 and all numbers match including the stocks. The finish is much deeper and has more shine than the photos show but I just oiled it up. I'll have time to do a better cleaning and Renwax tomorrow. Hard to believe it's in this condition after 102 years. It really looks unfired to me. I usually buy the high priced collector guns in shooter condition for reasonable prices but this one was just too lovely so I ponied up.
Great looking gun,
I just bought this one this week. Couldn't pass it up.
Smith-and-Wesson-1st-Model-Single-Shot-.jpg

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That looks like a Second Model with the side plate on the left side. Looks like new. Very nice find!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Ain't been shot enough to have a turn line. Great looking guns.
Cliff
Cliff, you dog you! Just read this and it cracked me up! :D

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cool .. I did find some info!!
Smith & Wesson Single Shot Target Pistol - Model 1891

Still trying to find out what type of competitions and at what distances they were used.
I believe that these single-shot .22LR pistols were expressly designed for ISSF 50-meter Free Pistol competition, which is also an Olympic shooting event.

This event requires shooters to shoot from the standing position, firing unsupported, strong hand only, at a bullseye roughly 2 inches in diameter 50 meters away. The course of fire consists of 60 rounds fired over a maximum period of 2 hours.

The maximum score possible is 600 points; a score of 570 is considered world class.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts