Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across this the other day and just had to bring it home. The elegance of these pistols has always put a big goofy smile on my face and the quality has always left me in awe. I'm guessing that it shipped around 1917 and all numbers match including the stocks. The finish is much deeper and has more shine than the photos show but I just oiled it up. I'll have time to do a better cleaning and Renwax tomorrow. Hard to believe it's in this condition after 102 years. It really looks unfired to me. I usually buy the high priced collector guns in shooter condition for reasonable prices but this one was just too lovely so I ponied up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think it is a pretty gun and just a pretty thing but ... what is it?

For the ignorant (me) how about some more info. Caliber, what it was designed for .. I like information for information sake and would love to hear more. I am assuming its a single shot? That is as far as I got and even that might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
In December, 1909, the second model was retired in favor of the “Perfected Target Pistol.” It presented no striking exterior departures from the second model except that it had checked walnut stocks and the trigger was suspended about the center of the guard instead of at the rear. Not until you examined the inner mechanism of the arm did you appreciate the improvements on the lockwork, designed to speed up the fall of the hammer. It was adapted from (and its lock parts were interchangeable with) the double-action .38 Perfected Model revolver, yet to be described.

Both the single-action .22 and the Perfected Model Smith & Wesson pistol were used for years in the U.S. Revolver Association matches and by American Olympic teams abroad, where they carried off the honors. Many foreign contenders in the Olympic pistol matches also used Smith & Wesson pistols.

Smith & Wesson Single Shot Target Pistol - Model 1891

There is one 3rd generation and two 2nd generation pistols for sale on Gunbroker.com now.

Your 3rd generation is certainly the preferred one.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mark,

Excellent! That is one fantastic "one shooter"!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes indeed, that is the Grail Gun. Extremely nice shape. Congrats! Thanks for the pics.

IIRC, Annie Oakley used one to good effect.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried to get some better photos to show how nice this gun is for being 102 years old but even with extra light it's tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Sweet! The gun looks to be in great condition and that it was well cared for.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Ooooooh! That's SWEET!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Wow! :-o Are you sure that shipped in 1917? Looks to me that it probably left the factory in 2017. ;)
Beautiful example!

John

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The second day that I had it I had a bit of buyers remorse. I cleaned it and Renwaxed it (after a trip to the range of course) and it has been sitting right in front of my computer monitor ever since. It just amazes me how nice it is for over 100 years old. It has taken a firm hold on a place in my heart. Someone really cared for this gun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts