Smith And Wesson Forums banner

GP100 10mm

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of these in 3 inch? I don’t have any Rugers :eek: but sort of like this one.

#3 · (Edited)
I dont have the 3" but .. whew is it tempting. I do have the 4.2 inch Match champion in 10mm. I just wonder if 3" wiley clap get the same massage treatment. I have owned probably about 6 Gp100's and have never, I mean never ever ever .. felt a trigger come out of the box as smooth as the one on My match Champion.

I currently have a 3" GP in 357 and have worked on it and have shot a few thousand rounds through and while it has a nice trigger and is light years from when I bought it .. it still isnt as sweet as what came right out of the box with my match champion.

If I didnt already have the 3inch gp and 3 in 686 when I bought the ten I might have gone for the 3" 10mm but .. in a way I am glad I didnt because the Match champion .. at least the one I received is really all that and a bag of chips!!

Its a bit slower to draw since I am not the tallest guy around and that 1 inch makes a difference and the stock grips while really good looking and help me to shoot like a dream .. are a bit long for proper concealed carry. I do it but .. its AZ .. you only need concealed light. Its my wandering the desert gun so I dont mind it being a touch large but I have concealed it at the supermarket but it does make the 3" attractive.

Still .. gotta post a pic

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#6 · (Edited)
I do. Want to buy it? I bought it to shoot 40 S&W..which it does..kinda. Ruger says right in the manual it is not recommended to use for 40...which I didn't know before buying it. 40S&W cases are not supported, as the cylinders are bored for 10mm, so hit or miss if they go off or not. It does not hurt the revolver....just makes it a "may/may not go off" gun. Not what I wanted.

I've got about 20.5 rounds of 40 through it,and about 24 rounds of 10mm. The action is very smooth and it is accurate! I do not need a 10mm revolver. It is the Wiley Edition. Nice sights..

I bought it new in box about 1 year ago. I put some Hogue grips on it.Stock ones are in the box. I have some EZMoons too. It comes with steel moons in the box.

Although it fits me very well, and is very accurate as all get out...I have a new Colt Delta Gold Cup NM for disposing of 10mm ammo..

Attachments

#7 ·
Sweet ... Glad I spent my gun allowence already or that might make its way here to keep the other one company. I read that TK customs makes moon clips specifically to address the issue of the Gp10mm not firing .40. Supposedly the clip needs to be slightly thicker. So far ... all good reports when using the .40 specific moonclips from TK.

Having said that .. The TK clips are wildly expensive and I reload. If I want a softer shooting experience I can just download 10mm cases and never worry about .40

I have never tried the .40 and dont intend to in this gun. I load 8.3gr of longshot with a 180gr DG bullet for the range and its a fun stout round but .. I bought it because I like stout. My carry load is the underwood 180 gr hornady.

#9 ·
I find in looking around that the Match runs a little cheaper than the 3" ... which is pretty amazing because according to Ruger the Match gets some extra love and at least mine .. yea its true!!

This was my very first target when I got the gun a few months ago. 3 cylinders at 10yds, unsupported DA. The little red spot with the x is about the size of a quarter

Clock Circle Recreation Home accessories Number

#12 ·
LOL .. hey dont knock those grips on the match until you try em .. Oh my they are sculpted so right for me. Of course YMMV.

There are a couple of thai guys on Ebay that make very nice grips for the GP's. About the only place you can find a fair variety. I have purchased from them in the past and have a set riding on my GP in 357. Shipping was fast and the grips were inexpensive and pretty nice.

My wife has the large Lett style grips and I will admit .. they are awful comfy! I wouldnt carry with them because they are sticky as fly paper but shooting with them is sweet and you can buy about 1000 different inserts.

Having said all that .. I LOVE the grips that came on the match.

#13 · (Edited)
Bit of a thread drift here ,,,,but why not,,,,,, Its' kind of about 3 inchers and how to pack um.
Not everyone is aware there are TWO sizes of factory rubber grips for the GP-100 line.
These are both Plain Jane 3" GP's.

The rubber part of the smaller one is a better , fuller hand fit than a SP-101 grip but takes the same inserts as the SP. Makes a really comfortable shootin gun, yet prints MUCH smaller.
Still stickey ickey rubber though.
Full discloser . The Ruger made one is a little hard to find so this small one was easily sourced thru Altamont, and quite affordably.

#17 ·
Having the 10mm in a revolver is very tempting as I'm a big fan of the caliber, especially in 1911s. I like to reload and my Sierra V manual has lost it's front cover. One of its strong points is a separate section for revolver 45acp load data, just happens I have a 25-2 that's accurate and full loads from 185gr-240gr have energies in excess of 600fpe...

May have to check out ~250gr hog bullet designs for carry in dense mesquite, some of the best ham comes from feral hogs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.