Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went and picked up the Marlin 39D Saturday and shot it a little and was pure enjoyment. The scope does need to be sighted in so will head for the rifle range and do that along with some others. Little gun was made for 0ne year in 1971 (less than 16,000). Is the same as the 39M but has a grip stock with the white spacer. Made the gun again in 1973 (about 7,000) for one year but no grip cap or white spacer. Gun was shot when new one time and then sat in safe until now. I can guarantee it will be shot now. My brother is using my 39A now but this 39D is a carbine so is easier to handle to me. Gun is in perfect shape and the old scope is still very nice. Overall very good weekend.
Home 2.jpg
Home 3.jpg
Home4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,714 Posts
Can you tell us the difference between the 39D, and the 39A that so many of us have?

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you tell us the difference between the 39D, and the 39A that so many of us have?
The 39A has a 24 inch barrel (rifle) and the pistol grip and the 39D has a 20 inch barrel (carbine) and the pistol grip, and the 39M (a carbine) has no pistol grip just straight stock. That is pretty much most of the differences. I prefer the pistol grip stock and really like the shorter barrel carbine.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Upgrade on the Marlin as I wet to clean it and broke it down and found a very heavy accumulation of cosmoline type grease all on the internals. I cleaned it out and really think this little gun has never been fired. except for the five I shot. Now all cleaned up and re-oiled and the action is very smooth. Talked with friend and he talked with origiinal owner and he said he bought it with scope and never shot it. Well it will be shot now on a regular basis.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Upgrade on the Marlin as I wet to clean it and broke it down and found a very heavy accumulation of cosmoline type grease all on the internals. I cleaned it out and really think this little gun has never been fired. except for the five I shot. Now all cleaned up and re-oiled and the action is very smooth. Talked with friend and he talked with origiinal owner and he said he bought it with scope and never shot it. Well it will be shot now on a regular basis.
Its amazing what getting that Cosmoline off will do. Ugh .. when I finally broke down my henry and got all the **** out and just applied a reasonable amount of oil .. it was like a different gun!!

That is one pretty lever brother!! I hope you enjoy it for years to come! sweet score

1 - 10 of 10 Posts