Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they need to be stripped and refinished, wood is perfect some of the clear coat is chipped so looking forward to a small project. Beats the Dunlops..

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Once you strip them of finish, see if it's possible to stain them and use an oil finish instead of polyurethane.

I particularly like stocks finished in diluted boiled linseed oil. It has to be rubbed in, and with a number of layers, which might be difficult where the checkering is in place. The rubbing generates the heat that melts the dilute (1 part mineral spirits to 3 parts boiled linseed oil) finish oil into the wood. I use cotton balls to apply and rub in the linseed oil.

I stip finish chemically, and then use steam applied through terry cloth in order to raise dents in the wood back to level. Very little surface sanding, if any, should be needed...

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once you strip them of finish, see if it's possible to stain them and use an oil finish instead of polyurethane.

I particularly like stocks finished in diluted boiled linseed oil. It has to be rubbed in, and with a number of layers, which might be difficult where the checkering is in place. The rubbing generates the heat that melts the dilute (1 part mineral spirits to 3 parts boiled linseed oil) finish oil into the wood. I use cotton balls to apply and rub in the linseed oil.

I stip finish chemically, and then use steam applied through terry cloth in order to raise dents in the wood back to level. Very little surface sanding, if any, should be needed...
That’s similar to the YouTube videos I’ve studied, I’m thinking REN oil..

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I just get pure boiled linseed oil from the hardware, and dilute it with mineral spirits. The work is in the rubbing once things have been stripped and steamed...

I used this technique on this M1Garand stock:

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just get pure boiled linseed oil from the hardware, and dilute it with mineral spirits. The work is in the rubbing once things have been stripped and steamed...

I used this technique on this M1Garand stock:

View attachment 493317
Nice mate

Thewelshm

·
Registered
29,984 Posts
Looks much better that the rubber that was on it despite the current condition. Keep us up to date on re-finishing project.

Reactions: Thewelshm
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.