Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, can use any advice on this one. I listed a rifle locally for $600 that I have no use for...a guy has offered me a blued 586 with 8 3/8 barrel. Looks very nice and born in 1984. No box or anything extra. Are these 8 3/8 barrels rare and collectible or just rare? Is it worth $600??

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Nice gun and the 8-3/8” barrel makes it an excellent silhouette gun if that is your cup of tea. As saemetric say not rare but some people collect them but not for value.

Here’s one with a 4” barrel, one of my favorites.
D72BDE38-8AAF-4C13-A300-CC9E67066E3E.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for the info, gang....Since it seems to be worth at least the $600, I guess I will meet up with him in the morning and see how it feels in my hand!

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
While not rare, they are actually uncommon. In the 586/686 line the 8 3/8" barrel was the least common, and 586's are less common than the 686. I personally have never seen a 586 that long, but I have seen a couple 686s. That's a decent price and trading for a rifle you don't want is even better

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While not rare, they are actually uncommon. In the 586/686 line the 8 3/8" barrel was the least common, and 586's are less common than the 686. I personally have never seen a 586 that long, but I have seen a couple 686s. That's a decent price and trading for a rifle you don't want is even better
That’s what I’m thinking....I have a 7MM & 270 Win....so that mule kickin’ 270 WSM is not needed or wanted. Replacing with another Smith would be a great idea.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
I just checked the standard catalog. The 8 3/8 barrel was deleted in 1997. There were 2 available. One had the 4 position silhouette front sight, other had a patridge. The 4 position one was discontinued a couple years before the other

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Right now the craze is big guns with tiny barrels. When shooting holster size handguns, I much prefer 6" or better barrels..always have. So for me the distaste for "long" barrel handguns suits me fine and I buy them at bargain prices. That 586 with an 8" barrel will be an incredible 357 shooter and although it may not be "worth" what a 3" barrel model fetches..if you plan on actually shooting it..you will be the winner. Trends change..and maybe the long barrels will once again come back into style. Makes no never mind to me though..:) Please post pictures once you acquire it.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
If it's something that you want and you have the means then GET IT! If you get more use out of it than the rifle then it's worth it. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's something that you want and you have the means then GET IT! If you get more use out of it than the rifle then it's worth it. Good luck.:)
I’m going to go get my hands on it this morning...If it gives me “perma grin” while holding it, it’s coming home with me! Definitely would enjoy shooting it more than the 270 WSM...that thing rattles my teeth!

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
KLN Family.jpg

I like longer barrels - just look better to me. I know others like snubbies a lot - personally I think they're too light for the recoil. Give me a full underlug long barrel any day. Here is the k-N family - fair representation of long barrels here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts