Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted last year about my M&P 40 shooting very low. I had let a couple of friends try it as well and it wasn't the shooter, it was the gun. I called S&W customer service and while they were very helpful, they weren't able to resolve the issue. They said that I needed a new, lower front sight .210'' in height and they would send one one out to me. A couple of weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I called them back and I was informed that they no longer carried the lower front sight. I poked around on the internet and I found a Ameriglo tritium front sight at the .210'' height. I ordered it and it came promptly, but it didn't glow. I had to send it back for an exchange and about a week ago I finally got the replacement sight and it worked like it should. I replaced it and took it to the range, and it fixed the problem. I'm finally very happy with my M&P. After some more range visits, it will be in my concealed carry rotation.

Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Audio equipment

Yellow Font Wall Art Symmetry

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube. :eek: But, well worth the effort for sure.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Congrats on whipping it's @$$, it sounded like it fought you tooth and nail! From the looks of it, you were very kind to the front dovetail throughout the process on a sight that is notorious for seeming to be installed with a 50T hydraulic press!

Now, hold my beer and watch THIS crap...
So there I was, finally getting around to installing a different front sight on my Ruger LCRx .357 3", when I realize that the base of the new (wider) front sight is catching a nail on the right side of the barrel rib. I carefully de-roll pin it and look, and this is what I saw (no kidding, and no trick photography):

This is the integral lug protruding from the upper frame, barrel rib region, upon which the front sight is supposed to reside. Holy cow. I sent several pics of this to Ruger CS, they asked if I would mind sending that back to them, provided they sent me a label. Okay, sure thing. Per their recent emailed reply, I am awaiting a new .357 LCRx 3", 6-8 week wait, but it's coming.
I guess some things there's only one way to fix? A least for a factory, with limited and costly machine setup, probably cheaper to do this for them in the long run?
I could see a front dovetail being cut into that rib instead of just living with it if Ruger hadn't stepped up (which, in my mind, at least so far, they have!)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that looks like something Ruger should fix, at least they're stepping up to it. Yeah that front sight was a booger bear to get out, getting the new one in wasn't too bad but I don't know why S&W thinks you should need a jack hammer to get the old sight out....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts