Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled out a gun my dad gave me in my early 20"s. I thought is was a Clint Eastwood gun. Not really, but a 357 Magnum. After Father's Day this year I embraced it more and wanted to know more since I lost him when I was 23. Now almost 30 years later I am researching to find out more. It's big 10" from stock to end, 6 bullets, hand carve handle with diamond shaped cuts, kinda blue steel, when you open the barrel MOD 27-2 with same S serial number that is on the end of handle. In barrel also has numbers with a big 7. Not selling. Just want to know more.

·
Registered
23,541 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Like hogg said....we like pics and would love to see the M27.:)

·
Premium Member
18,890 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 27-2 was made from 1961 with an S prefix serial number to 1969 when it shifted to an N prefix to 1982 when it was superseded by the -3. Since your stocks have diamonds, your gun was made between 1961 and 1968 so it should be an S prefix gun. (Duh, you said it was S prefix in your post. tnbtlaa I need some coffee!) As hogg said, if you will post some pictures and give us the serial number off the butt (you can xx out the last two or 3 digits if you want) we can do better on the date.

The .357 Magnum was S&W's flagship gun from 1935 until Dirty Harry's popularity vaulted the Model 29 to the top. I look forward to seeing yours.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As wiregrass and forester said the Model 27 was their top of the line .357 Magnum. They made many different models in the .357 Magnum but your Dad’s was the premium. A similar model was the Model 28 referee to as the Highway Patrolman. It didn’t have the fine checkering on the top of the frame, recessed cyl or target trigger, hammer and grips. There’s a lot of information on the net and S&W revolvers are a lot of fun to study up on and even more fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. Post some pics of that Model 27 including the bottom of the grip...like Guy mentioned about about

"x"ing out the last two numbers if you wish. Sounds like you have a nice one and your father had very good taste. Great site here with lots

of great folks willing to lend a hand if needed. Stay safe my friends. Dick

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have a very well made Smith and Wesson model 27. It's build on the "N" size frame (almost the largest Smith makes) and is a solid revolver.

Measure the barrel from the end next to the cylinder to the front muzzle and you'll know the barrel length.

These can fire both .357 Magnum and .38 special ammunition. The .38 Special is a bit less costly and has lower power and felt recoil. It puts less stress on the firearm, but on the N frame platform this revolver was made to handle this stress.

It's important to keep it clean, lightly oiled with a preserving gun oil and lightly lubricated. Don't do things like open and slap the cylinder back into position, as this can destroy the integrity of the yoke and cylinder rod mechanism. I would also dry fire it only with dummy rounds installed that absorb the hammer strikes.

Don't store it inside a holster. Humidity can sometimes activate the tanning chemicals in leather and lead to corrosion.

These revolvers are made to last several lifetimes, so it's quite an honor to be the second generation owner of a gift from your father.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Indeed has was mentioned several times, you have the holy grail of S&W firearms! Just like Colt's Python was the epitome of their production, so is the Model 27. The -2 engineering change was the last to retain the recessed cylinders and pinned barrel. The P&R guns hold a closer place to a collector's heart. Not because they were necessarily better than guns which are not P&R (as the -3 engineering change made them). But they represent the best of the gunsmith's craft. Many are of the opinion you can't make a genuine Colt Python or an S&W Model 27 anymore because the experienced gunsmith's are long gone. It's like finding someone who can work on an old watch, the wind-up kind, and who isn't 80 years old or more!

Prior to 1957/58 S&W named their revolvers. The M&P Hand Ejector became the Model 10. The .357 Magnum became the M27. The Highway patrolman became the M28.

If you choose to shoot it, and assuming it's in good condition, it'll shoot anything labeled .357 magnum or .38 Special. It'll also shoot .38 Long Colt.

Pull up a stump and set a spell - We'd love to see pictures, and get a range report!

Reactions: Forester

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
27-2[1].jpg welcome I'm quite partial to a 27-2 :)

thewelshm

·
Premium Member
11,555 Posts
welcome01 to the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts