Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I broke up a couple of fights between a 95 pound German Shepherd and a 95 pound Great Dane. Yup! That's pretty much what the t-shirt looks like for that kind of activity. Glad you are doing okay.

Hector

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a German Shepard and a Boxer when I was a kid. Once, out of nowhere the German attacked the Boxer.He rushed him, and knocked him head over heels.

Then the Boxer got up and fought the German into stalemate.

The German never attacked the Boxer again. And I stayed out of it, those dogs were going at it hard.

They weren't nearly as big as your dogs. But if they were, that would have been a double reason to stay out of it.

I am not criticizing you, but dogs go into a frenzy when they fight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dog Gus was attacked on a walk by a very big, I would guess 120+ pound German Shepherd one day on a walk. He was in a parked pickup truck with the windows rolled down and as we passed the truck I never saw him in there. His name was Rocky, I found out later. After we passed, I heard a "Huff" when he landed on the street and about the time I looked behind me, he was jumping on Gus, who was still pretty young, but had hit his 75 pound adult weight. He had never really been in a real fight since he was attacked at 6 months by a yellow Lab, Logan, who would be Gus's lifetime "Arch Enemy" and the feeling was mutual. When Rocky jumped on Gus, I yelled at him, but he just ignored me. I tried to grab him by the collar, but he tried to bite me, in between his yanking huge amounts of hair from the back of Gus's neck. He had really thick hair on his back and neck, so little damage was being done, but Gus was getting angry. Rocky bit Gus in the ear, punching two holes in it, and I saw Gus's eyes change. Normally, he had loose "Hound dog" eyes, like this:

But when he got angry, they tightened up, and his mom's Pit Bull came through. When Gus got angry, and it took a lot to get him there, it wasn't good. That head was huge, and he had insane bite power, and Rocky was about to find out just how insane it was. I somehow got slightly bit by one of them, just as Gus started retaliating. At this point, no signs of Rocky's owners was seen. Gus slammed Rocky up against the wheel of the truck and was shaking the hell out of him, and Rocky decided it was time to bail on the whole deal. About that time, the owners came out and Rocky must have decided they were going to help him with the fight, so he went back and jumped Gus again. It all went bad for Rocky at that point, he was screaming and Gus was chewing the hell out of him, totally silent, except for him huffing and puffing. Finally, the owner's son and I got them apart, and I don't think I ever saw Gus as angry as he was that day. The only damage to Gus was the holes in his left ear and a lot of bruises and missing hair on the back of the neck. Rocky was a mess, he had ripped skin hanging all over his face and neck and blood was everywhere. The owner said, "Well, Rocky finally picked on the wrong dog!" They loaded Rocky up and took him to the Emergency Vet for a ton of stitches. The vet asked them what dog did this terrible damage to Rocky, and they said, "It's this kind of weird looking brown and white dog named Gus". She asked them where it happened and when they told her, she said, "Oh, I know Gus, he's a sweetie!". She had taken care of him at my normal vet's office, where she filled in once in a while. I never saw Rocky again, but the vet said he was never going to look the same, as she had to remove a lot of crushed, dead skin from his face and neck. She said that when she realized Gus had been the dog that did all that damage to Rocky, she was shocked, as Gus was about as nice a patient as there ever was. She also said, "I guess I didn't realize just how hard he could bite, but with that huge head (17" long) and neck (27" right under his head), I shouldn't have been surprised!". All the other vets he ever seen said he had "Finger Amputating Teeth", and a couple said they thought Gus was the hardest biting dog they ever saw, after watching him saw apart 1/2" rawhide strips in seconds and bite pieces of those overpriced corn based "bones" they sell that are meant to be mainly gnawed on and worn down, not bitten into pieces an inch or so long and swallowed. A friend bought Gus one of those for a Christmas present once, and before he gave it to him, I warned him, "It's gonna be gone in a few minutes, so you might want to take it back!". He said, "Oh no, he can't eat this like that!". Wanna bet?? It was gone in less than 5 minutes.

Even with all the hassles we had housebreaking him, he would be the one I would bring back again, if I could.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is my Pal Benji. After better than 15 years, his hips just finally gave out. Yesterday we took him to the vet. My wife and I both stayed there with him the whole time. He sure is missed.
IMG_0383.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
We've owned four Akita females over the years. Although they are known for being aggressive, we believe its more about socialization (towards people and other dogs). However, they do have a dominant streak and ours have been very protective (passively) of immediate family members. We also normally have two dogs of different breeds at the same time, keep them in the house overnight and have had few problems. Hope you bite heals up fine.

·
Registered
14,264 Posts
Why Amy and I won't have anymore pups. It's just too traumatic for us to let go when it's time to. As much as we both love pups, we are finished. Quincy was the last.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why Amy and I won't have anymore pups. It's just too traumatic for us to let go when it's time to. As much as we both love pups, we are finished. Quincy was the last.
That's what my wife said when our grand daughter said she was getting us a Great Dane puppy for Christmas. I still have hope for her. But a Great Dane might be a bit big for our small house.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gus and Benji both look like they were wonderful dogs...
He was. He had quite a "fan club" of people who knew and loved him over the years, never having a clue that they were smootching a dreaded Pit Bull mix. We kept what he was quiet until just before the end, when it didn't matter anymore. Some people thought he was part Pit, but others were shocked. He changed a lot of people's minds about Pit Bulls.

Gus never wanted to hurt anyone who didn't attack him, with the exception of the one time the vet pushed him too far, and Gus attempted, but failed, barely, to remove his face.
He was terribly destructive as a pup, chewing everything he could. I have books with teeth marks on them, furniture with teeth marks on it, he ate the interior of the van I stupidly bought the day after I got him. And then there was the endless housebreaking that literally took a year to get 100%, and from day one to the end, 14+ years after we got him, he chewed. Middle of the night, he would chew. In bed with you, he would chew. Our friends thought we were crazy to keep him. But I knew eventually, he would be fine, and he was.

Rawhide strips were his #1 choice, and I swear I could hear him ripping apart rawhides for days after he was gone. But he was the best dog I ever had to take on a walk, and we spent many hours train watching in the middle of the night. If we didn't go to the tracks, he wasn't happy about it. He was scared of almost everything, except other dogs. No matter the size of them, he always was shocked when one went and attacked him. Some of the attacks by little dogs were comical until Gus's eyes would change, and it was time to intervene, as retaliation was usually a pretty gory thing to see. Only two dogs he got into it with hung around to really be injured, the GSD and a neighbor's Leonberger who ended up getting a hole punched into his front left leg bone by Gus when he finally fought back when the Leonberger attacked him. He decided that was enough and limped home, crying.
Anytime I see the rare dog that looks like Gus, I think about how much I miss him. I saw one a week or so ago, and the only real difference was this dog was taller than Gus was, but the head was pretty much identical. But me having a dog/dogs at this point is just a memory, unless I come into some major money and can offer a single broke friend a fantastic deal, free rent, free food, etc, all he has to do is walk the dog and take care of him/her/them. He's living in a crappy apartment with almost no furniture, driving a POS car and his ex-wife lives in their old house, and life is good.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts