Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months or so ago, I traded into a Model 13-3, with the box, and papers. I stuck it in the safe, and sort of forgot about it until the other day. I got it out and was looking at it and wondered if this is the correct box. It numbers to the gun, but I would have expected a -3 to have the later one piece box. I know people fake the end labels, but that seems to be a lot of trouble for a mundane gun like a Model 13. It's not a big deal to me really, I'm just sort of thinking out loud here.

unnamed (1).jpg

Next question...anyone know what the special features and INS codes mean? Again, not important, but I'm not even sure I've ever seen anything in those slots.

unnamed.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,712 Posts
I believe "Ins" refers to the inspector that had the final shipping sign off on your revolver.

The partial "VP339.9" number looks to be in different ink and handwriting, and may be a retail store stocking number.

Reactions: CajunBass

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it was part of a trade as I said, and I don't really care for it. I'm not a fan of a heavy barrel Model 10 either, and the 13 is just a Model 10 with a longer chamber.

I've thrown it out a couple of times, but no interest. Everyone wants the 3" Model 13. I'll hold onto it until something else catches my eye I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe "Ins" refers to the inspector that had the final shipping sign off on your revolver.

The partial "VP339.9" number looks to be in different ink and handwriting, and may be a retail store stocking number.
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Hi CajunBass,
I just checked my 13-2 serial 9D010XX and it is the same type box as yours. There is one thing that has been drummed into me. Smith & Wesson did NOT waste anything. If they had a box they would use it. They would not throw it away because they got a newer style box that came in the door. I remember that long after the K32 Target revolvers were gone someone discovered some k-32 boxes at the S&W Factory and they were SOLD and not thrown away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts