Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my M&P Sport since around 2013. I put a cheap red dot on it and take it out maybe once a year, or less. I have decided to spend a little more time with long guns this fall and I bought a 1-4x24, low power variable optic. I have never used one, but have shot a scoped Marlin 30-30 all my life.
After spending a month reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I came up with a couple that seemed to be great options for my price range, which being on a fixed income, was not a lot
Decided on a scope by Swampfox Optics
https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/
I had a coupon code for 20% off at Swampfox, but checked Optics Planet. It was on sale, with free shipping and as a new customer I got an additional 10% off, so all in all about 25% off the regular price.
Black Sleeve Font Audio equipment Camera lens

The scope was well packaged and came with a large cleaning cloth, throw lever & wrench to install, a couple stickers, scope & reticle manuals and a neat little scope tool
Product Black Rectangle Material property Font

Close up of tool
Kitchen utensil Font Wood Fashion accessory Rectangle

The semi-circles on the sides replace a penny for removing battery & turret caps and fits that slot nicely
Here is some info about the scope from the box
Font Monochrome photography Monochrome Darkness History

They have 2 reticles available for this scope. I chose the Guerilla Cross MOA version. It looks like this
Font Circle Rim Automotive wheel system Oval

The manual tells how to range find with the reticle.
I just mounted it today, but have had the scope for 4 days. I am very impressed by the glass quality. It is clear from edge to edge, with no distortion or discoloration. The illumination is daylight bright. I was on my deck at 2pm the other day in bright sunlight. Illumination was on level 8 out of 11, and was plenty bright enough to use as a red dot. Fit and finish are excellent, and there is a lot of eye relief.
All in all the scope has met or exceeded my expectations so far, now to get out and shoot it !
Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel

I also swapped out the factory stock with a Hogue over molded. I installed the Hogue over molded hand grip on a couple years ago and I think the forward vertical grip is going to go
Camera lens Camera accessory Air gun Reflex camera Lens

Camera accessory Auto part Cylinder Trigger Optical instrument

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

At this point I would say if you are looking for this type of optic, these guys are worth looking at, with LVPO’s running up to 8x. They also have other types of higher powered scopes, prism scopes and red dots. If it turns into a turd after actual use, I will let you know

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went kind of cheap on the mount. It was on sale for $30 at Amazon and has good reviews. The bolts are threaded into steel inserts to minimize the chance of stripping them and with 3 bolts holding it to the rail it is rock solid, and comes in just under 6 oz.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
All made in China I bet.... :p

·
Super Moderator
19,863 Posts
Good looking LVPO. I just looked them up. You should do well with it. I've discovered that the 1-4 is somewhat underpowered, and have gone to the 1-6 and 1-8 scopes for my LVPO's. Enjoy the addition, and look forward to a range report soon.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
3 things differentiate a good optic from a poor low priced) optic.

First and foremost is the glass. Good glass with excellent light transmission and color and optical clarity is hard to come by Only 2 glass makers I know of cast and grind their own glass, Swarovski and LOE. All the rest fall behind those two for quality of light transmission and most optic makers that build quality glass also sell it to other scope builders, Leupold being one, US Optics is as well as Nightforce and Vortex. Low priced scopes glue their glass in whereas a good scope will secure the lenses with screwed in retainer rings and spacers, screwed into the scope body. No glue used..

Lots of substandard glass out there and it mostly comes from China.

Second is the erector system. Cheap scopes use a non dampened for recoil shock) erection system, whereas a quality scope will have a viscous damped erection system, a budget optic wont, consequently a budget optic is unable to stand up to moderate to heavy recoil and that is easy to check as your Point of impact will change with subsequent shots. You can get away with a cheap optic (there are a ton of them out there btw) on a low recoil firearm but put a cheap scope on a hard recoiling rifle or handgun and it will get wonky pretty fast. Either your POA will change or the glass will become loose in the glued in retainers. Worse case scenario is, the glass actually falls out of the scope.

Third is the adjustment for elevation and windage. Good scopes will have definite click stops and have a side focus turret as well. Lower priced scopes won't have definitive click stops and adjustment becomes difficult.

Myself, I prefer raised turret's with removable knobs and a zero stop and machined in graduations and side focus as well. Scopes lacking a side focus or front end adjustable focus are usually zeroed at 100 yards from the maker but without SF you cannot range find with a scope, something I like to do.

On handgun scopes, fixed focus is the norm, but everything else applies especially resistance to recoil.

Myself, I prefer MOA graduations but Mil Rad is becoming popular with the long distance crowd and I like a second Focal Plane optic because the field of view remains the same, not matter how much magnification you dial in. With Mil rad there is no calculations needed for bullet drop compensation whereas with MOA requires some brain work.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No arguments from me Daryl. You no doubt know a lot more about scopes than I do. In this case I got the best I could afford....I hope. They claim it can withstand 1,100 G's of shock, and that is a heck of a lot. This type of optic isnt really made for pin point accuracy. It's more of a, Get hits on a target quickly, type scope. I had it out today. More on that later

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Looks good jonesy, I'm sure it will get the job done!!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
265 Posts
They get good reviews. There's some good optics coming out of China. Not everything Chinese is junk altho much of it is. For the money I'd have spent just a little more and got a Leopold.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They get good reviews. There's some good optics coming out of China. Not everything Chinese is junk altho much of it is. For the money I'd have spent just a little more and got a Leopold.
With the sale & discounts on Optics Planet I only paid $212. Would have been more than just a little more for the Leopold, and I believe theirs is only a 24mm tube. In the LPVO category, the Leopold is not really a great option, as opposed to most scope types where they are excellent

·
Registered
265 Posts
With the sale & discounts on Optics Planet I only paid $212. Would have been more than just a little more for the Leopold, and I believe theirs is only a 24mm tube. In the LPVO category, the Leopold is not really a great option, as opposed to most scope types where they are excellent
Actually the cheapest one is a 20mm for 299.00.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
Don't ever use it out west to hunt with. Illuminated reticles are illegal in some Western States.

My final comment is, don't use that scope on a hard recoiling firearm as it may (or may not get wonky)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
How you guys extrapolate long range big game hunting out west with hi power rifles out of a low power optic for an AR platform rifle used for fun informal shooting beats the heck out of me. But it does enlighten me on how politics can be so far removed from reality. Anxiously awaiting some shooting results jonesy.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
How you guys extrapolate long range big game hunting out west with hi power rifles out of a low power optic for an AR platform rifle used for fun informal shooting beats the heck out of me. But it does enlighten me on how politics can be so far removed from reality. Anxiously awaiting some shooting results jonesy.
What I'm alluding to is putting an optic like that on anything with substantial recoil. That scope wouldn't even last a full cylinder on my 460 or my 44 for that matter.

In fact I run Burris on my 460 but it's an old school Burris with LOE glass and screw in lens retainers that Burris hasn't made in a decade. The new Burris scopes have Chinese glass, glued in.

I remember I bought a Tru-Glow railway sight for one of my 22 match target pistols. It was cheap and I thought what the heck, give it a try. 2 magazines of Wolf Match Extra and I looked through it and realized the lens had fallen out and that pistol has minimal recoil. Good stuff there. Went in the round file (after I removed the button cell battery of course).

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
All I wanted to do was give people an insight as to what a quality optic is and the construction. Nothing more. With optics you usually get what you pay for. The exception in my view is Leupold. Over priced and living on their brand name. Leupy don't cast or grind their own glass. It's all sub contracted, usually from China or Taiwan. They even state that on their website in the fine print.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a couple YouTube videos they bump test a Swampfox scope. The guy drops his AR upside down, right on the scope from 4 feet, then does a side drop test. It held zero through both drops. I am confident it will hold up on my M&P Sport

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a brief period to get out to try the scope. Figured I would shoot at 25 yards because I have never mounted a scope and I didn’t know if I would even hit paper to start with. Also started with cheap, steel cased Tula. Same reason. Didnt want to waste good ammo if way off. Lined up at 25 yards and...
Colorfulness Precision sports Outdoor recreation Circle Recreation

Wow, not bad, but was it a fluke?
Precision sports Recreation Circle Sports Shooting

Maybe it wasn’t a fluke. Adjusted right a couple clicks and shot the remaining 7 rounds

Precision sports Outdoor recreation Recreation Circle Shooting

Ran out of time, but at least now when I set up at 50 to zero the scope with good ammo, I know I will be fairly close.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
According to the box each click in .5 moa. That's a half inch per click at 100yds. At 25yrds that would be an eighth inch per click. "Adjusted right a couple clicks". Need mo clicks! :) At 50 yards it will be a quarter inch per click. Have fun zeroing your new scope...

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to the box each click in .5 moa. That's a half inch per click at 100yds. At 25yrds that would be one eighth inch per click. "Adjusted right a couple clicks". Need mo clicks! :) At 50 yards it will be a quarter inch per click. Have fun zeroing your new scope...
Yep, you are correct, and I knew that, but had a temporary brain fart and was thinking quarter inch per click. Also since I was only at 25 yards, I may find I will be a bit low at 50. I had a ten inch steel plate hanging also and before I left I shot the remaining 10 rounds at it and hit every shot. The plates are easy at 50 yards since they fill the horse shoe on the reticle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts