Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was hoping to get a little guidance on a revolver my grandfather left me! I can't seem to find much help elsewhere! I have gathered it's a chief's special and stamped 36-1 when the cylinder is opened. That's all I've got! Any help is appreciated! There are 2 sets of grips with it but missing the screw for 1 set. 20200127_101907_1582233630631.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That is a model 36-1. Basically a model 36 with a 3" heavy barrel. The grips in the pic are called J frame targets. Tell us a SN and we can tell you when it was made. Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
28,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice 36-1 and a fine inheritance, something to hang onto, enjoy and pass on. The 3" barrel model 36's command premium $$$$ depending on condition. I have seen those for sale on Gunbroker for $600+. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
34,727 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Looks like a fine Smith to get from your GrandDad!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The number stamped on the butt is the serial number. It would normally be visible with the standard stocks. The other number, normally hidden by the stocks, is an assembly number to help the factory folks keep the various parts together after they had been hand fitted. Hank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts